New Member---New to me load

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

New Member---New to me load

Postby Bigcrazy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:34 am

I loaded up 3 sets of 5 round groups last night.
1st group 39.5 grains lil gun---200g ftx-----OL 2.26 with .475 crimp

2nd group 40 grains rest same.

3rd group 41 grains rest same.

Shooting in custom AR from trident armory. Billet upper and heavy bull barrel.

Anyone see a real issue here?

Appreciate input.
Bigcrazy

Re: New Member---New to me load

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:14 pm

Bigcrazy wrote:I loaded up 3 sets of 5 round groups last night.
1st group 39.5 grains lil gun---200g ftx-----COL 2.26 with .475 crimp

2nd group 40 grains rest same.

3rd group 41 grains rest same.

Shooting in custom AR from trident armory. Billet upper and heavy bull barrel.

Anyone see a real issue here?

Appreciate input.

Welcome Aboard OM!

I love the 200 FTX for its fastness, flatter shooting, lighter recoiling performance,
but... lighter bullets jump out of the case easier and benefit from as much retention as possible, even with Lil Gun, which I might also add is a good choice for them.
I prefer to seat them to around 2.19 COL so that I can drive that taper crimp down into the cannelure at the mouth. As for your initial choices of charge weight goes, either COL should be in the safe zone.

Do let us know how they perform for you. If you get sooting on the outside of the cases, chances are good that they are jumping out before the case seals against the chamber walls during ignition.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Bigcrazy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:10 am

I do not own a chronograph yet, coming soon. the 39 grain of lil gun had some sooting. 40+ grains did not. I started at 39 and worked up to 43 grains yesterday. No pressure signs. accuracy was great but only shooting 50 yds indoors.....to damn cold out. 43 grains shot a .25 center to center group off bi-pod and no rear bag. I had already shortened the COL to 2.23 and crimped at .474 for next batch. I will try shorter and see how they shoot. 1 in 16 twist I was worried they wouldn't shoot good.
Bigcrazy

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:20 am

Bigcrazy wrote:I do not own a chronograph yet, coming soon. the 39 grain of lil gun had some sooting. 40+ grains did not. I started at 39 and worked up to 43 grains yesterday. No pressure signs. accuracy was great but only shooting 50 yds indoors.....to damn cold out. 43 grains shot a .25 center to center group off bi-pod and no rear bag. I had already shortened the COL to 2.23 and crimped at .474 for next batch. I will try shorter and see how they shoot. 1 in 16 twist I was worried they wouldn't shoot good.

Very encouraging results! The 450b will shoot consistent good groups at the hands of a consistent shooter. Sounds like you found your first great recipe if it delivers .25 CTC at 50 yds. As you move the distance out, your technique and attention to detail at the reloading bench, will now be the factor that determines your group size with that 43gr load.

The 225 FTX is also a good bullet at around half the price of the 200 FTX. In my 1:24 twist AR 450b, the 225's are the most accurate bullet I've found for my loads, using Lil Gun. No two barrels are the same however. That's why we need to find what ours likes. I totally enjoy working on load recipes. The time spent at the reloading bench is entertainment for me. A lot depends upon how far away from the better half your reloading bench is located. I prefer a minimum of 1 floor and 2 doors away. ;)

A Chronograph is a crucial tool for the reloader. It doesn't have to be some high buck, bleeding edge technology unit, to be effective. The basic Chrony F1 or Beta Master, with its remote display are affordable, especially if you watch for sales. The Competition Electronics and Caldwell brand units are good as well, for around the same price.

Thank goodness warmer weather always comes back, though it seems like an eternity before it does up in these northern latitudes. :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Bigcrazy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:44 am

Thanks Hoot! I've been a stalker here for a year, reading and reading. I appreciate all the effort from you and others here. Hopefully I can contribute for someone else same as you guys have helped me and you didn't even know it!
Bigcrazy

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:15 pm

Bigcrazy wrote:Thanks Hoot! I've been a stalker here for a year, reading and reading. I appreciate all the effort from you and others here. Hopefully I can contribute for someone else same as you guys have helped me and you didn't even know it!

The shooting issue that you saw is pretty much my experience as well with the 230 Grain FMJ Hornady flat points. Once I got to 40 grains of Lil Gun, the sooting issue disappeared. But beyond 41, you’re coloring outside of SAAMI pressure lines so definitely be extremely careful. Watch for any type of pressure signs and ejections that aren’t 3 O Clock.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Bigcrazy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:33 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
Bigcrazy wrote:Thanks Hoot! I've been a stalker here for a year, reading and reading. I appreciate all the effort from you and others here. Hopefully I can contribute for someone else same as you guys have helped me and you didn't even know it!

The shooting issue that you saw is pretty much my experience as well with the 230 Grain FMJ Hornady flat points. Once I got to 40 grains of Lil Gun, the sooting issue disappeared. But beyond 41, you’re coloring outside of SAAMI pressure lines so definitely be extremely careful. Watch for any type of pressure signs and ejections that aren’t 3 O Clock.

So today with shorter COL and .474 crimp I had faint extractor mark. Primers were fine. The mark was hit and miss....shot 20 of 43 grains.....super tight groups. We have a 200yd indoor range 1 hr away. Going later in the week. You are spot on Texas Sheepdawg!! Backing the load down to 42.5.
Bigcrazy

Postby Bigcrazy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:05 pm

[url]Image[/url]
Bigcrazy

Postby Bigcrazy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:07 pm

Had 2 mini flyers. :D 5 shot group. Not best rest.
Bigcrazy

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:02 pm

Bigcrazy wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:

So today with shorter COL and .474 crimp I had faint extractor mark. Primers were fine. The mark was hit and miss....shot 20 of 43 grains.....super tight groups. We have a 200yd indoor range 1 hr away. Going later in the week. You are spot on Texas Sheepdawg!! Backing the load down to 42.5.

There’s an accuracy node between 41.0 and 41.5. Just saying.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b