Lyman 450B die set?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Lyman 450B die set?

Postby Bmt85 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:00 am

Was looking around Midway when I came across this

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/197053/lyman-msr-precision-4-die-system

I have no experience with Lyman dies, but I really like that the dies are black oxide coated and it comes with a case gauge.
Bmt85

Re: Lyman 450B die set?

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:54 am

looks like a nice set!
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:45 am

"The black finish matches your rifle" is really grasping for a sales pitch, but I like the fact that it includes a chamber fit gauge. They obviously did their homework.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:57 am

honestly a SB die for this caliber seems a bit much.

i can understand the need for one when normalizing military brass that may have been fired in a MG like 5.56 or 7.62 .... but for a caliber like this it seems.... excessive. My concern is over working the brass and shortening the longevity of it.
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:56 am

plant_one wrote:honestly a SB die for this caliber seems a bit much.

i can understand the need for one when normalizing military brass that may have been fired in a MG like 5.56 or 7.62 .... but for a caliber like this it seems.... excessive. My concern is over working the brass and shortening the longevity of it.

Actually I modded one of my shell holders (cheaper than an entire die) to allow the resizing die to come down a little further and it made some cases with too much growth, chamber again in my AR based upper, where they used to bind a little bit going in.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:15 pm

Hoot wrote:

Actually I modded one of my shell holders (cheaper than an entire die) to allow the resizing die to come down a little further and it made some cases with too much growth, chamber again in my AR based upper, where they used to bind a little bit going in.

Hoot

How you do that?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:25 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
Hoot wrote:

Hoot

How you do that?

I carefully chucked it in my lathe, making sure it was trued and using a carbide insert tool, shaved it down as far as I could go and still have a reasonable amount of "meat" left. I don't have it at work with me but IIRC, I shortened it something like .075 or so. By pushing the case further up into the resizing die, I get a little more neck tension for my trouble as well. Not leaps and bounds of difference, but I could feel it when I seated a bullet. A lesser degree of the old TightNeck experiment, from back in 2012. Visually, its easy to tell it from an un-modded one, so you don't mix them up.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:14 pm

About the only way I could do that would be to just rub it on the side walk at work and hope for the best. :lol:
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby ScottyPotty » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:13 pm

I like it because it comes with the "M" Die and the case gauge, for the same money as Hornady.
ScottyPotty

Postby MetalDust7 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:15 pm

The Lyman die set requires no case lube? Is it worth the extra money or just go with lee 4 die set.
MetalDust7

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b