Anyone shot Black Butterfly 275 XPB?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Anyone shot Black Butterfly 275 XPB?

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:14 pm

Nice to see the ammo is doing good in your rifle.

I know you don't have a lot of that ammo available, and it's expensive, but I have noticed that with most bullets I load, especially monolithic coppers, that it will usually take 3-5rds to settle in. So only firing 3 and then cleaning probably isn't helping. I know when I'm getting my rifle ready for hunting, I will clean it real good, then take it to the range, fire 5 rds, let it cool down a bit, then fire another shot to check zero. After that, I don't clean it until after hunting season, and I'm ready to go to the range and fire something else through it.
Bmt85

Postby RLWithrow » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:47 pm

I agree with not overdoing the cleaning and have had best groupings after the bore is 3 or 4 rounds dirty. I clean thoroughly probably after 30 or 40 rounds in any rifle then 3 or 4 fouling shots the next time out.
RLWithrow

Postby Robert FL » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:52 pm

Thanks for the info, I am more of a archery guy than gun guy. I have had hunting guns for 45 years but have never been a precision shooter just a hunter. I was trying to see which of the 4 different bullets I have would "group best"..so I wanted each test firings to be close to the same exact conditions, clean and cool barrel. I have heard of guys fouling their Black powder gun barrels one shot or just a primer or cap didn't know that also works well for our smokeless rifles.
Robert FL

Postby Robert FL » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:12 pm

I have 2 of the sample pack of 5 XPBs left.. I put them over three 250 FTXs in a 5 round mag..I went to my Hog stand yesterday afternoon. No hogs came by just a 5 point buck and 2 racoons. I think I can get over there Friday afternoon, I have a trail camera at this stand and have 2 sows and a small boar coming by almost every day. I pretty much ran the other 3 groups off by shooting a few from each sounder. I really need to shoot a hog at 100 yards or so..that way I can get a better idea what the 275 will do on a Large mid west deer. My average shot in Florida is 10 - 30 yards, I mostly bow hunt so my stands are in the thick stuff.
Robert FL

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles