I have started casting some 450 boolits

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

I have started casting some 450 boolits

Postby cwlongshot » Tue May 15, 2018 6:42 am

Been casting a lil while, I tried some lead in the 450 with dismal results. But discovered the bullets where undersized...

SO, I dug out a old 454 310 WFN mold... but cannot find it!! Must have lent it to someone... damn CRS... Anyhow, I grabbed a new LEE 300 WFNGC mold for 25$ and when looking for the sizer I found a 270g bullet I did not know that I had! I cast 20# Sunday afternoon and another 12-15# last night. I have some good looking bullets. I have a friend in Indiana who I swap bullets for powder coating. But he is moving to Virginia next month and has too much on his plate to think about this right now. So I think I may also jump into powder coating.

Real happy with these 270g bullets and the LEE did a fine job too, but MUCH more temp sensitive. So I have many frostys. Not a big problem as this mold drops 454+ . I will try some sized 454 and others sized 452 and GC'd and coated mixed to see.

Here is the LEE 300g

Here is the 270G and some 165 .311's for my 300 BO.

I am interested to read if anyone else has been down this road and what you discovered.

CW
cwlongshot

Re: I have started casting some 450 boolits

Postby cwlongshot » Wed May 16, 2018 11:12 am

I picked up a toaster oven and ordered some colored powders. So hopefully by this weekend I can make some powder coated 270g 45 bullets!

Gonna try a couple diameters and see what I can get for accuracy. Not looking for velocity, just a fun accurate, economical bullet.

CW
cwlongshot

Postby Hoot » Wed May 16, 2018 12:36 pm

cwlongshot wrote:I picked up a toaster oven and ordered some colored powders. So hopefully by this weekend I can make some powder coated 270g 45 bullets!

Gonna try a couple diameters and see what I can get for accuracy. Not looking for velocity, just a fun accurate, economical bullet.

CW

You got me thinking. We used to powder coat where I used to work. How do you electrostatically charge them to attract the powder all over? Seems like some bare spot would be left behind. Do you fabricate a special stand to hold them on their noses, since the nose doesn't need coating? Just curious...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Pipefitter172 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:41 pm

You got me thinking. We used to powder coat where I used to work. How do you electrostatically charge them to attract the powder all over? Seems like some bare spot would be left behind. Do you fabricate a special stand to hold them on their noses, since the nose doesn't need coating? Just curious...

Hoot

There are much better instructions on castboolits.gunloads.com, but the basic idea is to use a plastic container with airsoft BB's and the right type of powderpaint, shake them with the cast projectiles to create some static attraction, and then bake them on non-stick aluminum foil.
There was a recent post there that a member had some problems with a certain propellant powder that seemed to be "attacking" the powder paint used to coat the bullets, apparently some of the solvents used in propellant powder manufacturing remain in enough quantity to soften the powdercoat paint.
Pipefitter172

Postby Hoot » Thu May 17, 2018 4:45 am

Pipefitter172 wrote:You got me thinking. We used to powder coat where I used to work. How do you electrostatically charge them to attract the powder all over? Seems like some bare spot would be left behind. Do you fabricate a special stand to hold them on their noses, since the nose doesn't need coating? Just curious...

Hoot

There are much better instructions on castboolits.gunloads.com, but the basic idea is to use a plastic container with airsoft BB's and the right type of powderpaint, shake them with the cast projectiles to create some static attraction, and then bake them on non-stick aluminum foil.
There was a recent post there that a member had some problems with a certain propellant powder that seemed to be "attacking" the powder paint used to coat the bullets, apparently some of the solvents used in propellant powder manufacturing remain in enough quantity to soften the powdercoat paint.

Oh OK, kinda like shot peening jacketed bullets with MoS, WS2 or Hbn, except for utilizing plastic beads for their static generation. That is pretty ingenious. One of my favorite shows as a kid was Watch Mr Wizard, a science show back in the 60's. Don was demonstrating static electricity and he had a 78 record and Styrofoam beads. He rubbed the beads around the record and they stuck to it. When he tried to wipe them off, they kept sneaking over to the side of the record opposite the side he was wiping. The things that stick with you, when you can't remember where you sat that shell holder down a minute ago! :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby cwlongshot » Thu May 17, 2018 4:52 am

Pretty much YES.. Haha I remember that episode!!

I had a buddy in Indiana who I used to send my bullets to. He would "color them" take a portion for "payment" and return the rest. Worked out well enough as I don't use that many and he enjoys the process. Well, he duty has changed and he is moving to Virginia for June 15. He had a load of work before then selling the house moving wife and kids yada yada yada. So I aint gonna bother him for a spell. Plus, If this works well as I am hoping, I'll need a steadier supply. The costs are real low so why not?

I have never done it, but watching some videos on the tube its pretty easy so with luck I'll dive in this weekend. Supposed to deluge Saturday, so I am hoping to postpone a job I had out on long Island.

cw
cwlongshot

Postby Odfairfaxsub » Thu May 17, 2018 7:42 am

Bushmaster will in fact can shoot cast great. I’m using a gas check bullet so far and it’s great. I am using imr 4198 h110 was bad enough at higher charges to pull rounds apart. I got really fortunate as casting deff cheaper than buying bullets for the life of the shooting
Odfairfaxsub

Postby plant_one » Thu May 17, 2018 9:34 am

dont crack into that new toaster oven.

head out yard sale'ing and you should be able to get one for like $5

as for powder, go to Powderbythepound and get the TGIC 400*F stuff.

the "candies" (among others) have shown in the past to produce great results - and you can get 2oz for around $10 or so - enough to coat a whole bunch of bullets. This stuff seems to coat better than the HF stuff from what i recall reading about the process, especailly with the airsoft BB method.

and as an added bonus, sift your BB's when you're done and recapture the unused powder for another day.

https://www.powderbuythepound.com/candi ... nsparents/
plant_one

Postby cwlongshot » Thu May 17, 2018 9:39 am

Odfairfaxsub wrote:Bushmaster will in fact can shoot cast great. I’m using a gas check bullet so far and it’s great. I am using imr 4198 h110 was bad enough at higher charges to pull rounds apart. I got really fortunate as casting deff cheaper than buying bullets for the life of the shooting

Great to hear!!

I'm hoping I can find time to hit the range this weekend.

I doubt I'll have coated bullets to try... but maybe...

CW
cwlongshot

Postby cwlongshot » Thu May 17, 2018 9:41 am

plant_one wrote:dont crack into that new toaster oven.

head out yard sale'ing and you should be able to get one for like $5

as for powder, go to Powderbythepound and get the TGIC 400*F stuff.

the "candies" (among others) have shown in the past to produce great results - and you can get 2oz for around $10 or so - enough to coat a whole bunch of bullets. This stuff seems to coat better than the HF stuff from what i recall reading about the process, especailly with the airsoft BB method.

and as an added bonus, sift your BB's when you're done and recapture the unused powder for another day.

https://www.powderbuythepound.com/candi ... nsparents/
Thanks man!

I book marked it!

I have some coming form them off EBay.

CW
cwlongshot

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b