Starting loads for Ruger American Ranch Rifle

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Starting loads for Ruger American Ranch Rifle

Postby CJP1 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:49 pm

I finally found credible reloading info for the bullets that I bought. The problem that I have is the loads are for AR rifles with longer barrels and less twist.
Hornady manual says for their 240gr XTP Mag. Lil-Gun 25.7gr-38.3gr. H110 30.6gr-40.6gr.
Lyman AR handbook says for the Barnes 200gr XPB. Lil-Gun 39.0gr-43.5gr.
Hodgdon manual says for the Barnes 275gr XPB. H110 33.4gr-37.6gr.
I'm looking for starting loads for the three bullets and two powders for a bolt action with a 1 in 16 twist? I know that the bolt action will take more pressure than an AR. If I start with the AR data won't I be wasteing components? Thanks in advance for your help with this matter. I know of no other place to get the answers that I need than right here on this forum.
Last edited by CJP1 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CJP1

Re: Starting loads for Ruger American Ranch Rifle

Postby papajohn » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:00 pm

I'm not sure what your recoil tolerance level is, but the strength of the action type isn't the only limiting factor. Heavy bullets kick more, stock design has a lot to do with perceived recoil, and maximum loads are rarely the most accurate.

Having said all that, your rifle is the only thing that can tell you what it prefers, and "wasting components" is one of those things that occurs in testing, it's unavoidable. But you can learn from what does and doesn't work well, and load accordingly.

One thing I learned quickly is that hot primers and firm crimps are necessary with this round, and heavy bullets help assure a good even powder burn with no early departure by the bullet from the case. Match primers are a tad hotter than standard, and that's all I use now.
papajohn

Postby Bmt85 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:24 pm

Even with the heavier twist, you might get away with Lilgun for the 200 XPB and 240 XTP Mag, but I have a feeling your going to have excessive case head growth early into load work up. Might have to switch to W296/H110. For the Barnes, you should probably start with W296/H110, but may need to go to something a little slower like 4198, or 1680/CFE BLK/Shooters World Blk. Can't tell you for sure, because I haven't loaded for a Ruger bolt gun.
Bmt85

Postby CJP1 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:58 am

Thanks for your replies to my questions.
CJP1

Return to Reloading for the 450b