w296 powder

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

w296 powder

Postby gmstack » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:07 pm

Has anybody tried Winchester 296 powder ? I understand it is the same as H110. If anyone has any details would be appreciated .
gmstack

Re: w296 powder

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:59 am

gmstack wrote:Has anybody tried Winchester 296 powder ? I understand it is the same as H110. If anyone has any details would be appreciated .

I use it but I can't compare it to H110 as I've never had any. I like it for 300gr bullets and may get a chance to try some with 275 XPB's tomorrow, depending upon how early the weekend long rain starts. Of course, its supposed to get nice as soon as I go back to work Monday :| I do know that QuickLoad over-predicts its performance in this caliber.

Hoping that the NWS is wrong.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby cwlongshot » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:29 am

NEW 2296/H110 is made by same manufacturer.

OLDER stuff is different. Blanket statements can cause issue.

Like many guys, I have and use both. My 300 Black barrels say that they are different... Two shoot 18G of H110 into sub MOA and 18G of 296, loaded same brass, same lots of bullets and primers, just OVER MOA. :roll: :? So go figure? They might produce same pressures for same amounts, but don't always shoot the same...

CW
cwlongshot

Postby MOOSE EARS » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:43 pm

This topic has been on other forums and the conclusion has been they are the exact same powder, produced from the same batch, bottled in different canisters, on the same production line. This info came from a Hodgdon email reply to the inquiry. I know people say they get different results but the manufacturer says they are one in the same powder. Who knows?
MOOSE EARS

Postby gmstack » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:01 pm

Thanks to all for answering. guy
gmstack

Postby plant_one » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:16 am

MOOSE EARS wrote:This topic has been on other forums and the conclusion has been they are the exact same powder, produced from the same batch, bottled in different canisters, on the same production line. This info came from a Hodgdon email reply to the inquiry. I know people say they get different results but the manufacturer says they are one in the same powder. Who knows?

i'm sure its like everything else - if you could manage to get two jugs of the stuff (one each label) from the same lot number, you'd see strikingly similar results between the two.

but im sure lot to lot variance alone could make them seem like two *slightly* different powders.
plant_one

Return to Reloading for the 450b