WHAT PRIMER TO USE

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

WHAT PRIMER TO USE

Postby gmstack » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:57 am

I am presently using cci br4 match primers. Should I be using a magnum primer for lil gun, h110 ?
gmstack

Re: WHAT PRIMER TO USE

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:55 am

When it's warm or hot out, you probably don't need to, but when its gets cooler out (hunting weather) you might run into problems with a cooler primer igniting the powder, especially something like 296/110 and 1680. IIRC, it's recommend to use a magnum primer for small primer 308 Win, and we run powder charges just as big.

I personally run magnum primers in just about everything. I figure, I won't have ignition problems from the cold, and I'll be running a touch less powder. Haven't had an issue yet.
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:21 am

From German Salazar's Small Rifle Primer Article (June 2009)

nuff said...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby gmstack » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:25 am

Hoot, who said "a picture is worth a thousand words" ? And your pic works for me . thx
gmstack

Postby Hoot » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:49 am

gmstack wrote:Hoot, who said "a picture is worth a thousand words" ? And your pic works for me . thx

Links to the complete articles are in my Information Depository sub-forum, in the "About Primers" thread.

Back when I got into this caliber, I used BR4 primers in all but the magnum calibers for the bottleneck cartridges I reloaded. Naturally, I tried them in the 450b with somewhat erratic results using the old blend of Lil Gun. Siringo, a local 450b member, gave me samples of different primers to try and it changed me forever, going forward.

However, that was back in 2010, a year after that article was written. Many companies have been gobbled up by bigger fish, or come under new management by individuals who live on the profit margins of life. I have no idea whether current production primers behave like their counterparts did 9 years ago.

just sayin'...

Hoot

BTW, the Barnes tests yesterday went very poorly...
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:55 am

And I think that 7 1/2 has a thicker or harder cup, back on the early 90's it was the recommended primer for the 454 Cassul.

Personally, I run CCI 450's, mostly because Remmys were never available when I needed them and very seldom have I seen them in my travels.
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:03 pm

Al in Mi wrote:And I think that 7 1/2 has a thicker or harder cup, back on the early 90's it was the recommended primer for the 454 Cassul.

Personally, I run CCI 450's, mostly because Remmys were never available when I needed them and very seldom have I seen them in my travels.

...and its not like we can test them in the 450b, even if we wanted to. Velocities are so erratic, by bottleneck caliber standards, that the impact of the primer variations would be lost in the "background noise". If there's any chance of comparing the results in this caliber, it would no doubt come from a cannelured or grooved bullet with a well regulated stab crimp, shot from a bolt action. (Yo Bob...)
I had miserable results yesterday with Barnes XPB's and just a taper crimp driven down into the groove. No idea why what has worked so well in the past, performed so miserably. More in the range report...

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:09 pm

Al in Mi wrote:And I think that 7 1/2 has a thicker or harder cup...snip

Cup Thickness Comparison

Hoot

Edit: Link also in my About Primers thread
Hoot

Postby gmstack » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:16 pm

Hoot, my condolences a bad day at the range is quite depressing. At least it is for me.
gmstack

Postby Hoot » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:37 pm

gmstack wrote:Hoot, my condolences a bad day at the range is quite depressing. At least it is for me.

It wasn't totally disappointing. I helped a thin, frail, 85 year old member, with a catheter bag hanging out his pant leg, get his scope mounted and zeroed in. Even with his poor health and shaky hands, his first shot using his reloads and my BR setup, went into the tiny bullseye (on my target) at 100 yards. Both of us were shocked. His grin from ear to ear was my payoff. He didn't want to shoot it anymore. Shook my hand, packed it up and went home to clean it. Ah, to be retired...

New Barska Scope.jpg
New Barska Scope.jpg (64.02 KiB) Viewed 11261 times

I carry a pretty thorough gunsmithing compliment of tools to the range every time I go. That's why loading up and unloading the truck is exhausting. Needless to say, I'm very popular, but its the least I can do as the Rifle Range Coordinator. Sometimes it cuts into my time and concentration for what I'm doing, but its hard to sit there doing my thing with other shooters struggling around me. If I'm in a grumpy mood, I sit in the far right shooting position, so I don't have to see them. ;)

Hoot

EDIT: Working on the range report and despite varying velocities, the 200 XPB's over Lil Gun were not as disappointing on paper as the 275's over W296. The latter began grouping up at max case capacity charge that also began to flatten primers. Haven't measured CHG yet. Neither flew as well as my last time out with them about 7 yrs ago.
Hoot

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b