Best brand?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Best brand?

Postby Hubcap500 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:27 pm

I'm planning on getting a 450BM AR upper for deer hunting this fall. Any recommendations or warnings about any particular brand?

I'm leaning toward Bushmaster because they're the original, and hopefully have the bugs worked out (though I seen some older reviews that flag feeding issues). Cost is a consideration, but reliability and accuracy are important too.
Hubcap500

Re: Best brand?

Postby Hoot » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:54 pm

Welcome Aboard Hub!

I wholeheartedly recommend the Bartz upper if you don't mind paying the additional cost and getting a marked improvement over the Bushmaster factory upper. Its precision and a lot more tolerant of load stiffness than my original 20" Bushmaster upper. Try to find a mid-length gas system unit, whatever brand you go with, if you intend to reload other than the standard ammo recipe. The Bartz is one tough cookie!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Bmt85 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:48 pm

I have a 16" Bushmaster upper, and I think it's a good upper for the price. I bought it because at the time it was the least expensive out of the few that were available. I wanted something for Michigan Limited Firearm zone, with out dumping a ton of money into it, when I didn't know if I would like the cartridge. I now have 3 rifle uppers and a 12.5" pistol upper in 450B. Lol. My personal opinion, I'm not a fan of the 20" Bushmaster upper. They have a carbine length gas system, which can be worked around, but is completely unnecessary.

I have a lighter weight build using a Tromix barrel, and I really like it. Accuracy is good and you usually get a little more velocity out of it for the same load, compared to some other 18"-20" barrels. Tromix does offer fully built uppers, with some options. Cost a bit more than a Bushmaster, though. What I don't like about the Tromix is that the bore is naked 4150, so make sure you keep it oiled!

Then I have a 20" and 12.5" BHW builds, but they only offer barrels, not full uppers.

I have no experience with Bartz, but Hoot has always had good things to say about them, so that means something. Lol. I really like the fact that they use good blanks and then Melonite them. Less to worry about, especially for a hunting rig.

As to gas system, Midlength is the best all around length. 16" with a Carbine length gas system is fine, but Midlength also works. 18" and 20" barrels, go Midlength. Don't do a rifle length gas system in a 20" unless you reload, it could be problematic.
Bmt85

Postby fox400 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:06 am

I have a complete upper by APF(Alex Pro Firearm. They are located in Minnesota.) and have been very happy with it. The price tag is higher than that of the Bushmaster uppers, but the quality is also better, IMO. Mine has an 18" stainless steel ER Shaw barrel and a few other things that I consider to be nicer and/or more aesthetically pleasing over the Bushmaster upper.

My Dad as the 20" Bushmaster upper and he has been happy with it, but he's not quite as picky as I am when it comes to guns.lol One of the biggest complaints I have about the Bushmaster uppers is the hand guard is a real pain in the butt to remove. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but I like to be able to disassemble most of my gun after deer season and give it a very thorough cleaning and oiling before putting it away til the weather warms up and I can get back to the range.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Bartz uppers, which are now called Brenton USA.(They changed their name in the last few months) They are also more pricey than the Bushmaster, but, from everything I've heard, they make a quality upper and also sell complete guns. Had I known about them before I bought my APF, I would have checked them out since they are only a few hours away from my house.

My brother in law has an upper by GLFA(Great Lakes Firearms and Ammunition) and he has been happy with his as well. I believe his has an 18" Green Mountain stainless barrel. The price was a little more than the Bushmaster, but not as expensive as the Brenton(Bartz) or the APF.
fox400

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:19 pm

if you have the means to assemble one (and that's not rocket science) you can get a good barrel and hand guards of your choosing.

I have one of the early 16" Busheys on a DPMS lower, been flawless feeding with every mag and ammo combo I've ever tried.
Al in Mi

Return to AR15 Style Rifles