450b Bolt Action Rifle Picture Thread.

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450b Bolt Action Rifle Picture Thread.

Postby bhemry » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:25 pm

How did you do this? Have any more pics or did you make a thread about it?

Trial and error. Thanks for the compliment. Basically everything I did was a first for me. I'd normally be scared to take on something like this, but after checking the price of a replacement stock if I screwed up, (About $75?) I decided it was a risk worth taking.

I decided the stock was a skosh too long to operate the bolt from off my shoulder, so after removing the pad and checking it out, I discovered the stock is hollow and I cut it back a little. I found that I could use my Dremel to open up the inside a touch, because the pad slips inside of it, and reuse the factory pad, so I did. It isn't perfect, the lines from the stock to the pad don't blend in, but it'll do. I accidentally Dremeled thru the stock at one point, but used some JB Plastic Weld to touch it up. You can still see it, but it's more for function than show, so I'll live with it.

My cheekpiece was originally way too low for my scope and I've always kind of liked the Weatherby look, so I used pictures of what I wanted it to look like and then started adding JB Plastic Weld to my stock thinking I would build it up with that. However, after using an entire tube of it and basically getting nowhere, (well I may have added 1/8" of an inch with the whole tube) I started using pieces of material and gluing them to the top with the JB Plastic Weld. In my case, I'm a truck driver and come across a bunch of cut or broken plastic seals so I used those.

After getting it somewhere in the ballpark, I decided to try my hand at Bondo. I had problems with little tiny bubbles forming, but eventually I got it somewhat satisfactory using layer after layer and sanding in between. I had no prior experience with it either, but info off the internet is a powerful tool! One thing I had to keep checking on though, was this was the maximum height I could make the cheek piece and still get the bolt out without taking the stock off. At one point I had gone too high and had to sand some off. This was the absolute max I could go and still get the bolt out, but it was enough.

After I finished all of that, I tried some Rust-Oleum "Satin Moss Green" and was horrified that it wasn't the shade I pictured. More like neon green. :o
I repainted it using Rust-Oleum "Satin Hunt Club Green". Turned out to be close enough to perfect.

I also wanted the webbing look, and after checking out every store in the area unsuccessfully, I went online and ordered two cans of Krylon "Marbelizing" spray (in black). Man, that stuff is cool! Did a quick test on some cardboard. Seems like you just spray it on and it just randomly disperses itself for you!

As for the hard chrome, I used Mahovsky's in PA as they were the cheapest and I've had 4 handguns done there before and have been happy. For the rifle, I wanted my bolt, but not my Glades Armory bolt knob done, so I sent the gun in wearing that bolt, minus the knob. I also wanted to keep my red Ruger emblem on the bottom of the pistol grip as it was, so I taped it up real good before painting.

bhemry

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:30 am

wow very very nice work and write up there guy!!
Al in Mi

Postby bhemry » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:03 am

Thank you. I appreciate it. I just remembered that I also had trouble getting the trigger pull down to something acceptable. Just backing the adjustment screw off per the instruction manual only had me down to somewhere around 6 1/2 lbs. :o After researching this for awhile, I ended up cutting the spring off half a coil at a time until I started getting results. I believe it is about 3 lbs or 3 1/2 lbs now.

I did most of this last December-Jan, so my memory is kind of fading. Well, let me back up, actually, I did something else I never do. I was in a gun shop two weeks before deer season last year when the owner handed me this rifle and told me to check it out. I fell in love with it, then the next weekend went back and bought it. I've always been prepared way before that. Well, actually I was, just not to use this particular gun.

That's when I worked on the trigger and while I was at it, slicked up the bolt smoothness. The bolt handle install and the rest came after our basically one-week, Ohio deer gun season. That bolt handle install was by far the toughest thing I did. I couldn't get it back together right! After spending most of a day researching videos to get the right angle to see what they were doing and trial and error, I finally got it. Shortly afterwards, the gunsmith at Mahovsky's put it back together wrong too, but by then, I'd had enough practice that it only took me a few minutes to get it right.
bhemry

Postby Hoot » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:18 am

I Love It!

Too few shooters achieve proper cheek weld when using a scope. Nice to see your determination come to fruition. It gives you some "skin in the game" when you invest in your firearm's performance.

Well Done.

Hoot

PS: Your work area is more tidy than mine. ;)
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby cwlongshot » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:44 am

Thank you for posting Bhemry!!

Great work I LOVE IT!!

CW
cwlongshot

Postby swampbug » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Man them there two sure nice I will say, nice job
swampbug

Postby 302SMOKE » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:22 pm

HELLO ALL, NEW HERE AND TO THE 450 BUSHMASTER ...JUST MADE LEGAL TO DEER HUNT WITH IN DELAWARE ... PICKED-UP A RUGER AMERICAN W/22'' CERAKOTE /GO WILD ...AMMO IS HARD TO FIND HERE YET ...GOT GOOD RESULTS @100YDS. W/ HORNADY BLACK NOT MUCH IF ANY DIFFERANCE W/ CUSTOM..TOPPED IT OFF W/ 3X9X50 NIKON BUCKMASTER ...WHAT OTHER AMMO SHOULD I TRY OR LOOK FOR MIGHT TRY REMINGTON ACCU TIP ...IF I CAN FIND ..THANKS FRANK
302SMOKE

Postby BobbyJ » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:13 am

New Ruger Gunsite Scout in black/stainless.
Pulled the front rail so the scope bell would clear, pulled rear open site.
Scope - New Leupold 3-9x 40mm with 450BM CDS dial.
Shoots under 1 MOA if scope rings stay put. Need to seat ring bases with lube then shoot a few times without a scope to make sure they seat. Then put the scope on. Otherwise they will loosen.

Right click on image and choose view image to see full picture.
BobbyJ

Postby KenMI » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:36 am

Started as a left hand 450 American Ranch from Randy's in Bad Axe. Then I sent the stock for hydrodipping, and had the metal Cerakoted in Tungsten. The rifle only came with a thread cap. Brake is a 4 port Beast brake from Nathan at www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com.
KenMI

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:16 am

Nice stick there Ken and welcome. I have a 4 port from Nathan on my 500aimm, really tamed her down.

Randy's is just up the road from me, if your ever back this way holler.
Al in Mi

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles