New to the 450 BM... need some advice

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

New to the 450 BM... need some advice

Postby Justunqualified » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:54 pm

So Im new to the caliber, picked it up for deer hunting in Ohio.

Seeing the price of ammo has made me opt to reload. I already reload 308 and 45acp.

My questions... Will 45acp dies work? And projectiles seem to be almost as much as ammo. Will 45acp projectiles work?

Gun is a Ruger American with a SiCo Hybrid.

I appreciate the assistance in curing my ignorance.
Justunqualified

Re: New to the 450 BM... need some advice

Postby Hoot » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:19 am

Justunqualified wrote:So Im new to the caliber, picked it up for deer hunting in Ohio.

Seeing the price of ammo has made me opt to reload. I already reload 308 and 45acp.

My questions... Will 45acp dies work? And projectiles seem to be almost as much as ammo. Will 45acp projectiles work?

Gun is a Ruger American with a SiCo Hybrid.

I appreciate the assistance in curing my ignorance.

Welcome Aboard OM;

Yes to projectiles but choose wisely and no to dies. Get a good set like Hornady New Dimension dies. Resist cheaping out on your dies. Their cost can be distributed over a lifetime of reloads.

I do not shoot a bolt action 450b, so I'm of little help with recipe recommendations for one. There are however, plenty of members here who do. If you just want "blammo ammo", the 230gr FMJ's work and their affordable. Usually, as the price goes up on bullets, the performance does likewise.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:36 am

Welcome aboard, all of the ACP type bullets I know of I'd consider unsuitable for deer at the speeds the 450B shoots.

The Hornady 240gr mag is a fairly cheap bullet that'd I'd trust, I'm not a FTX fan performance wise but they are accurate. Barnes are the ultimate performers IMHO, but hover around the $1ea.
Al in Mi

Postby Justunqualified » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:15 am

Thanks for the fast replies... are the lee dies good? Anywhere to pick up brass? Id like to load some subs for fun... and the more pricey stuff for deer season
Justunqualified

Postby Justunqualified » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:15 am

Also, Im using a lee turret
Justunqualified

Return to Reloading