Range Report Savage 110 Wolverine

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Range Report Savage 110 Wolverine

Postby Thom28 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:03 pm

I picked up a new Savage 110 Wolverine 450bm a couple of weeks ago. Finally had a change to get to the range with it.
It has an 18" barrel with a 1:24 TR with adjustable comb, length of pull, Accu-Trigger. It also comes with rail already attached.
It weighs in a little over 7 1/2lbs and this weight helps reduce felt recoil along with the installed recoil pad and muzzle brake It comes with one four round polymer magazine.
The action is smooth.
I mounted a Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x42mm on it. For sight in I used Black box Factory ammo. Once scope was sighted in, I shot for groups at 100 yards.
Rifle performed flawlessly and I was able to shoot sub moa groups at 100 yards off the bench using sandbags. All 5 shots touching. The muzzle brake preformed as it was intended to.
Overall, I feel the rifle is well worth the price I paid for it. Does it shoot any better than the Ruger American 450, I don't think so. I would say both rifles are very accurate. I do like the heavier weight of this rifle over the RAR.

The only complaint I have with this rifle is what I encountered when I went to clean the rifle. I could have used a third hand when removing the bolt for cleaning purposes You have to pull the trigger to the rear, push the side bolt release as far down as it will go, then pull the bolt rearward until it clears the receiver. Not impossible to do but awkward.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Re: Range Report Savage 110 Wolverine

Postby Hoot » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:02 pm

Thom28 wrote:...snip...

The only complaint I have with this rifle is what I encountered when I went to clean the rifle. I could have used a third hand when removing the bolt for cleaning purposes You have to pull the trigger to the rear, push the side bolt release as far down as it will go, then pull the bolt rearward until it clears the receiver. Not impossible to do but awkward.

All my Savages use the same bolt removal process as yours. Eventually, you develop the knack for removing them without even thinking about it. The force needed gets better with time as the surfaces polish. A drop of oil where they slide over one another helps.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Thom28 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:48 pm

Thanks for the tip Hoot.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

Thom28

Postby CJP1 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:47 am

Thom28,
Did you notice any flexing of the forend while shooting? Just wondering if the new stock is stiffer than the old ones.
CJP1

Postby Thom28 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:27 pm

CPI,
I haven't really shot the Savage that much, but when I did shoot it, I did not notice any flexing with the forearm. IMHO the rifle performed flawlessly.
When I have more time, I plan on loading some Barnes XPB 200gr rounds and finding a combination that rifle likes.
I have been doing that with the Ruger Gunsite 450. That is the rifle I will be using this deer season here in Michigan.

After I do some shooting with the Savage, I will update on this thread.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

Thom28

Return to Bolt Action Rifles