Which 450 Upper?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Which 450 Upper?

Postby sbye » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:26 pm

I am looking to pick up a 450 upper for deer season this year. I think I have narrowed it down to the following two options.

Windham Weaponry 16"
https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/collec ... 16sfsb-450

Alex Pro Firearms 16"
http://www.walshgunandtackle.com/450-bu ... 5-20707263

I know Windham makes quality stuff, but I have never hear of APF. Are they good to go?

Also, this is the scope I plan on putting on top of it. Has anyone here used it? Is it worth it?
http://www.walshgunandtackle.com/450-bu ... m-20702770

I don't know what bullet and velocity the 450 turret was made for... Anyone have experience with them?
sbye

Re: Which 450 Upper?

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:55 am

Might be a bit more cost, I can speak highly for these https://gryphontradingllc.com/shop?olsP ... ter&page=1. Dave has a kit on pg 2 might save you a little if you have a spare handguard.

I've only played with one of those Leo scopes and it was deadnutz at 100 and 200yds with factory ammo.
Al in Mi

Postby Bmt85 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:09 pm

Not too many reviews on either of those uppers, though they seem pretty good. If I was going to choose one, it would probably be Alex Pro, simply because of the Shaw barrel. Al’s suggestion is a good one, too. There have been a few members running gryphon’s, and they have had great results. Almost bought one myself.
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:37 pm

Bmt85 wrote:Not too many reviews on either of those uppers, though they seem pretty good. If I was going to choose one, it would probably be Alex Pro, simply because of the Shaw barrel. Al’s suggestion is a good one, too. There have been a few members running gryphon’s, and they have had great results. Almost bought one myself.

My 6.5 Grendel has an E.R. Shaw barrel and until only recently, it was the best finished bore of any production AR barrel I've ever seen. Plus Alex Pro is up north of me in Carlos, MN where my anti-gun sister in law lives. I really got her goat when I told her what the plant just past the end of her street produced. :twisted: All the time they've been there and she never knew! :lol:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Rackcollector » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:46 am

Image I recently purchased an Alex Pro Firearms (Not Alex Pro Fab - 2 different companies) 450 Bushmaster 20” upper from Walsh Gun and Tackle for my 450 build with 2 Bushmaster 5 round mags. Walsh was great to deal with and they are the sole source for APF 20”, which I wanted with the ER Shaw barrel. They also carry APF 16” and 18” if you like. I used a Aero Precision Gen 2 lower, LaRue 2 stage trigger, Magpul ACS with a Limbsaver butt pad. I cerokoted it in OD Green and put a Vortex Diamondback HP 2.5-8x32 with BDC type reticle on it. Using Hornady Black 250 it shoots 3 rounds touching at 100 yards with no feeding issues. I have only fired about 25 rounds through it, but so far I love it. I will post a pic if I can figure it out. I do not have any experience with the the other brand.
Rackcollector

Postby sbye » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:44 am

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll probably pick up the APF or one of the kits that Al in MI mentioned. I am in MI too and I am sick of hunting with a 12 gauge... I actually do have an extra free float rail laying around too lol. I am looking to stick with the 16" because my shots won't be very far and I might add a suppressor to it down the road.
sbye

Postby sbye » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:23 pm

I ended up going with the Alex Pro Firearms 16" upper with the E.R. Shaw barrel. Also got the Leupold Mark AR with the 450 CDS turret. Ended up getting my dad the exact same setup. It's just a Palmetto lower, but it has a Geissele SSA-E trigger and a Colt H2 buffer. Trying to convince my dad to get a Geissele lol.

Going to get them out this weekend and get them dialed in.

sbye

Postby Hoot » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:30 pm

Minnesota's Finest!

Small town machinists made good. They're in Carlos, just north of Alexandria, a stone's throw (seriously) from my gun hating sister-in-law's house. I love it! Image

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to AR15 Style Rifles