Case length question

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Case length question

Postby fox400 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:39 am

So I have figured out some wonderful loads for both mine and my father's 450. I'm going to load up a bunch to get us prepared for the upcoming Michigan firearm deer season. My loads are using the Barnes 275 grain TSX bullet. I have some once fired brass that is shorter than the book specs, which is 1.7". The short cases range from 1.687-1.69". I know it isn't a huge difference, but I'm wondering if loading these the same way that I've loaded my 1.7" trimmed cases would produce the same results on paper.
fox400

Re: Case length question

Postby gmstack » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:34 am

THOSE CASES ARE JUST FINE. I JUST BOUGHT STARLINE CASES AND THEY MEASURE THE SAME AS YOURS.
gmstack

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:49 pm

load and go, your good.
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:36 am

That difference in length is like the thickness of a sheet of copy paper. If you want to be fussy about anything and it is IMHO, esoteric, match them by length in 5 round groups for reloading. Even that is for all intent and purpose, chasing minutia. You can gain more by being fastidious about what's built up inside your necks. IE You want the bullet seating resistance to be as close as possible, as that affects velocity. I do sort my prepped brass by case head width as that is important for reliable chambering. If I'm looking for something to do, I deburr my flash holes and normalize my primer pockets with any newly acquired brass, for that warm, fuzzy feeling. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b