How light have you gone?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: How light have you gone?

Postby Bmt85 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:25 pm

303hunter wrote:Finished it late today, but haven’t shot it yet. Weight feels right around 6 pounds. It includes:

Bear Creek 16” barrel with their brand flash hider.
Aero XL upper receiver.
Delta Team 12” carbon fiber forearm.
Lancer carbon fiber A1 length stock with A2 extension.
PSA lower with Rock River NM 2 stage trigger.
Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 scope with Redfield tactical mount. Image

You sure about that weight? Scope probably weighs close to a pound with a small mount, and the BCA barrels are heavy, probably 2lbs. What is the weight of the handguard and stock?
Bmt85

Postby 303hunter » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:51 pm

Bmt85 wrote:
303hunter wrote:Finished it late today, but haven’t shot it yet. Weight feels right around 6 pounds. It includes:

Aero XL upper receiver.

You sure about that weight? Scope probably weighs close to a pound with a small mount, and the BCA barrels are heavy, probably 2lbs. What is the weight of the handguard and stock?

Nope, not sure, that’s why I said “feels right around”. My “end of arm scales” may read a bit light! Tried it on the bathroom scales, and they read 7.4 pounds. I know they’re not designed for something that light, so I’ve ordered a set of postage scales that weight up to 55 pounds. They’ll come in handy to weigh my other rifles.
303hunter

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:54 am

303hunter wrote:
Bmt85 wrote:You sure about that weight? Scope probably weighs close to a pound with a small mount, and the BCA barrels are heavy, probably 2lbs. What is the weight of the handguard and stock?

Nope, not sure, that’s why I said “feels right around”. My “end of arm scales” may read a bit light! Tried it on the bathroom scales, and they read 7.4 pounds. I know they’re not designed for something that light, so I’ve ordered a set of postage scales that weight up to 55 pounds. They’ll come in handy to weigh my other rifles.
s

You can use the bathroom scale. Stand on it with the rifle. Stand on it without the rifle. Subtract. The difference is the weight of the rifle.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby 303hunter » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:22 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:
303hunter wrote:
Bmt85 wrote:You sure about that weight? Scope probably weighs close to a pound with a small mount, and the BCA barrels are heavy, probably 2lbs. What is the weight of the handguard and stock?

s

You can use the bathroom scale. Stand on it with the rifle. Stand on it without the rifle. Subtract. The difference is the weight of the rifle.

Yup, that’s how I did it. Figured the postal scales would come in handy for easier weighing of parts/rifles though.
303hunter

Postby Bmt85 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:09 pm

303hunter wrote:
Bmt85 wrote:

Aero XL upper receiver.

Ah, ok. I was reading that as that’s weighed out to. I’m also going to be ordering a postage scale to see what my rifles and parts come out to. They’re cheap enough.
Bmt85

Postby 303hunter » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:25 am

Scales arrived, and they read 7.5 pounds. By contrast my 18" 450 weighs 10 pounds. Those lighter weight parts make a difference!
303hunter

Postby Bmt85 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:35 pm

303hunter wrote:Scales arrived, and they read 7.5 pounds. By contrast my 18" 450 weighs 10 pounds. Those lighter weight parts make a difference!

7.5 lbs with scope is pretty good!
Bmt85

Postby 303hunter » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:58 pm

Bmt85 wrote:
303hunter wrote:Scales arrived, and they read 7.5 pounds. By contrast my 18" 450 weighs 10 pounds. Those lighter weight parts make a difference!

7.5 lbs with scope is pretty good!

That weight is without the Harris bipod. It weighs almost a pound by itself.
303hunter

Postby Publius » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:25 pm

Just finished my build and it weighs 7.71lbs with scope & empty magazine. Without scope & magazine it's 6.44lbs

The only part purposely chosen to be light was the scope mount, but I have no idea whether it will hold up, we'll find out soon enough though. The scope and mount weigh 0.975lbs, just under 1lb.

18" Tromix barrel is very light compared to the other AR barrels I have.
Publius

Postby 303hunter » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:15 pm

Publius wrote:Just finished my build and it weighs 7.71lbs with scope & empty magazine. Without scope & magazine it's 6.44lbs

The only part purposely chosen to be light was the scope mount, but I have no idea whether it will hold up, we'll find out soon enough though. The scope and mount weigh 0.975lbs, just under 1lb.

18" Tromix barrel is very light compared to the other AR barrels I have.

That’s an Aero scope mount isn’t it? They’re lightweight, but strong too.
303hunter

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles