How light have you gone?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: How light have you gone?

Postby Publius » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:23 pm

303hunter wrote:That’s an Aero scope mount isn’t it? They’re lightweight, but strong too.

Yes it is. I weighed it and if I remember correctly it was 3.3oz, very light.
Publius

Postby dantheman » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:04 am

My 450 Bushmaster needs a serious diet. Mine is like 10.9 lbs!

I'm in the process of building my first upper, in 243 LBC, being very conscious of weight. If that build works out I believe I'll be re-building my 450 Bushmaster upper next year using lighter parts.

If I could keep the rifle at about 8lbs scoped I'd be very happy. That's the goal with my current build.

Dan
dantheman

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:43 am

If you go with a light weight scope and mount, 8lbs should be easy enough. If you use a Tromix lightweight barrel, it shouldn’t be a problem. Even if you use a Gryphon barrel at 2.2lbs (which isn’t that bad), you should make your weight goals with the right combination of parts.
Bmt85

Postby dantheman » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:34 pm

Bmt85 wrote:If you go with a light weight scope and mount, 8lbs should be easy enough. If you use a Tromix lightweight barrel, it shouldn’t be a problem. Even if you use a Gryphon barrel at 2.2lbs (which isn’t that bad), you should make your weight goals with the right combination of parts.

The scope is very heavy. Full featured, 30mm with illuminated reticle and all. That will be the first thing to go. I don't need the 30mm scope to hunt deer. That illuminated reticle will be missed though.

I plan on keeping my recoiless stock so I will focus on the upper using light weight parts.

Dan
dantheman

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles