Best AR oil?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Best AR oil?

Postby Lar45 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:46 am

Hi guys,
I tried using the search function, but didn't come across much on which oil to use.
I'm a long time gun fanatic, but fairly new to ARs.
I recently bought a Ruger AR in 450 Bushmaster, and I'm wondering which oil would be the best to run in it?
I use Break Free CLP on pretty much everything, but is there something better?
I'm in central Arkansas, so it's hot and humid in the summer and spring, but can get to almost snowing in the winter during hunting season.

Thanks
Lar45

Re: Best AR oil?

Postby sakremer » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:47 am

http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html at the bottom of the page has a great cold weather lube.
sakremer

Postby 303hunter » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:29 pm

CLP’s some good stuff, and I use it a bunch. Synthetic motor oil works well too; just put some in a squeeze bottle like an empty eye drop bottle.
303hunter

Postby Hoot » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:50 pm

IMHO there are two answers. While breaking in your action, unless all the components that wear against each other are Nitrided, whatever you lube it with will load up with displaced phosphates that the metal is coated with. I recommend folks in that situation clean frequently and just use some CLP. Wipe out the slurry, add more CLP and repeat until it smooths up. Using an oil with a friction reducing additive like Teflon or MoS2 will actually retard breakin. Once it's broken in, then switch to an oil with aditives such as the previously mentioned MGL or Tetra oil going forward. If you are inclined toward patience, hand cycle the action without a mag in, with it running wet with CLP, like a hundred times while watching something on TV that you're only vaguely interested in. Again, pause to wipe it out and slaver more CLP in there to carry off more of the displaced phosphate from time to time. I'd say shoot it to break it in but then you'll be cleaning out redirected crud of combustion each wipe out and worst of all broke from all the ammo needed. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to AR15 Style Rifles