1891 Argentine Mauser Sporterized

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

1891 Argentine Mauser Sporterized

Postby 303hunter » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:40 pm

Picked up this 1891 Argentine Mauser locally. It had been modified a long time ago by a true craftsman. Barrel is cut and crowned to 22”. Williams peep sights replace the originals. Bishop walnut stock is beautiful. It’s still chambered in the original 7.65x53. I would never modify a piece of history, but this is from the time when hunting rifles were easily modified from inexpensive military rifles. Image
303hunter

Re: 1891 Argentine Mauser Sporterized

Postby Hoot » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:08 pm

Good gun. Hope you got it for a reasonable price. A couple of years ago, I bought a 1917 Enfield in 30-06 that was sporterized. It too was well executed with a nice Monte Carlo stock that just so happened to fit me perfectly. Shot good too. I needed another 30-06 like a hole in the head, but for a hundred buck, I couldn't say no. Wound up trading it for a very rare DPMS stainless steel AR lower that had an RRA NM 2-stage trigger in it. My favorite lower to this day! I felt a little traitorous forgetting rid of that rifle but I have a Belgium Browning BAR in 30-06 that shoots lights out alread and a Rem 700 also in 30-06. Safe only has so much room and the local guy with the lower (paperless) wanted a decent deer rifle. Win-Win.

Hoot (out in Baltimore visiting Dad)
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: 1891 Argentine Mauser Sporterized

Postby 303hunter » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:19 am

Hoot wrote:Good gun. Hope you got it for a reasonable price. A couple of years ago, I bought a 1917 Enfield in 30-06 that was sporterized. It too was well executed with a nice Monte Carlo stock that just so happened to fit me perfectly. Shot good too. I needed another 30-06 like a hole in the head, but for a hundred buck, I couldn't say no. Wound up trading it for a very rare DPMS stainless steel AR lower that had an RRA NM 2-stage trigger in it. My favorite lower to this day! I felt a little traitorous forgetting rid of that rifle but I have a Belgium Browning BAR in 30-06 that shoots lights out alread and a Rem 700 also in 30-06. Safe only has so much room and the local guy with the lower (paperless) wanted a decent deer rifle. Win-Win.

Hoot (out in Baltimore visiting Dad)

Hoot, I paid $150 for it, and a couple boxes PPU ammo. Also picked up a set of Herters vintage dies, and 200 bullets. I’ve considered having it drilled and tapped for scope mounts, and putting a period correct scope on it, something like a blued steel Weaver or Redfield.
303hunter

Return to Firearms