General Firearms Picture Thread.

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: General Firearms Picture Thread.

Postby dantheman » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:21 pm

243 LBC 22" standard contour Black Hole Weaponry barrel. I had the upper and lower receiver painted with Gun Candy "Mongoose" . The color changes hue depending on the light. The goal was to get the rifle at or about 8 lbs scoped. It's 8 lbs 2.8 oz as pictured.

Dan
dantheman

Postby Hoot » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:33 pm

Boy, that's one handsome rig and a good caliber to boot. What the 450b won't take in close, that will take further out. Nice job. Load up some Hornady 103gr ELD-X bullets. The 108 ELD-M shoot 5-shot, 100 yd groups like this:

Hor_108eld_38r6_H4350.jpg
Hor_108eld_38r6_H4350.jpg (126.29 KiB) Viewed 26876 times

Looking forward to some range reports

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:53 am

nice, nice nice,!!!
Al in Mi

Postby dantheman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:37 am

Thanks guys...this is my first wildcat and the first time I built my own upper, so right now I'm in the process of developing some safe loads that will run without hiccups.

I'm also using a low mass buffer to keep the rifle within my weight specifications. I have an adjustable gas block installed so I can tune the rifle to the load so I can get it to run. I'm gaining quite a bit of "experience" with this build, that's for
sure

Dan
dantheman

Postby Hoot » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:57 am

I didn't realize its a wildcat. Mistook LBC to mean a manufacturer, not a necked down Grendel (thanks Google). That makes it even more interesting. Is that an AR10 or AR15 platform? I'm guessing that if its AR15 based, you may not be able to take advantage of long , high BC bullets like the ones I referenced. Don't want to drag a picture thread off on a tangent. Suffice it to say, it looks great.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby dantheman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:57 am

It's an AR15 platform. The nice thing about the 243 LBC is that being the parent Grendel case is shorter, one can use the longer bullets without taking up too much powder space. Many guys are loading up to 107 grain bullets.

Some that use those longer bullets are cutting "windows" in the front of the magazines so C.O.L. is not as limited for those heavier slugs.

I plan on running 90-100 grain bullets for deer and informal target shooting. Working on 95 grainers initially.

Dan
dantheman

Postby Hoot » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:08 pm

At least this post has pictures.
Back in 2011, I posted a how-to for slotting a magazine to increase COL for the 300 WSSM on the now defunct OA2.org (Olymic Arms Forum). Worked with any single stack caliber however. Still have the images but the thread is lost to the ages. Here's a couple of images:

Cutting the slot with cheapo HF roto-zip

End result:

with about 15-20 illustrated steps in between. ;)

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Bmt85 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:36 pm

dantheman wrote:Snip -

Some that use those longer bullets are cutting "windows" in the front of the magazines so C.O.L. is not as limited for those heavier slugs.

I plan on running 90-100 grain bullets for deer and informal target shooting. Working on 95 grainers initially.

Dan

Yeah windowing mags is nice to get that extra little bit. Some of us here do it for the 450B

Bullet suggestion for you, 92gr MKZ from Cavity Back Bullets. Just ran across a thread on another forum the other day, the OP tested the 92gr MKZ, and the results were very impressive for a 6mm! The MKZ's open up big, penetrate deep, and cause massive blood lose.
Bmt85

Previous

Return to Firearms