Velocity Plateau using Lil’gun

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Velocity Plateau using Lil’gun

Postby LeaderOfThePack » Tue May 14, 2019 10:52 pm

Hi. I have some info, collected from here, about loads with Vihtavuori powders. I have written up at least N120 with xtp 300, and those might be pretty close to ones suitable for 300gr deep curl.
I have made only sub-sonics with tinstar & xtp 300 so far. Vihtavuori is only easy-to-get powder here in Finland.

I'm loading for RAR also and next load will be 275 Barnes with N120.

I can check and copy some if you need those. Public opinion in here seems to be that starting load with N110 is about same than with lilgun. So that's one guideline, at least don't go under that with N120.

My own guess is that with longer bullets, N120 and RAR, case capacity will be limiting factor rather than pressure, but THAT'S JUST A GUESS SO FAR, DON'T COUNT ON THAT.
LeaderOfThePack

Postby Hoot » Wed May 15, 2019 4:49 am

I almost forgot to mention. I have used N110 pretty much as I would use Lil Gun. The powder density is different but in a good way. You wind up loading it closer to case capacity than Lil Gun which is always a good thing as the powder doesn't mostly settle in the bottom half of the case. Despite it being more voluminous, Charge weight is a little less (34gr vs 36) to deliver similar velocity from my 20" 1:24 Bartz upper. Never tried it with bullets in excess of 250gr. That was 8 or so years ago. Hopefully they haven't changed it in that time frame though rumor has it they have introduced a little copper fowling reducer to some of their blends. The Fins make good powder.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby LeaderOfThePack » Wed May 15, 2019 8:46 am

They all have it now. Anyhow, they haven't changed load data much, just some normal "fine tuning" between yearly editions.
LeaderOfThePack

Postby Kawi-vn750 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:37 pm

LeaderOfThePack wrote:Hi. I have some info, collected from here, about loads with Vihtavuori powders. I have written up at least N120 with xtp 300, and those might be pretty close to ones suitable for 300gr deep curl.
I have made only sub-sonics with tinstar & xtp 300 so far. Vihtavuori is only easy-to-get powder here in Finland.

I can check and copy some if you need those. Public opinion in here seems to be that starting load with N110 is about same than with lilgun. So that's one guideline, at least don't go under that with N120.

My own guess is that with longer bullets, N120 and RAR, case capacity will be limiting factor rather than pressure, but THAT'S JUST A GUESS SO FAR, DON'T COUNT ON THAT.

I would love any info you’d be willing to share with the Vihtavuori powders.
Kawi-vn750

Postby Kawi-vn750 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:39 pm

Hoot wrote:
Kawi-vn750 wrote:Had to check my crimp measurements when I got home. I’m getting .473 on the factory loads. But I did notice that there is a bit of play in my calipers which I’m sure has skewed my measurements. Time to pony up for a better set( if the boss lady approves that is). With that said, according to my wonky calipers I am crimping .002 more than factory which is all the further I care to go considering the round head spaces on the mouth. As far as powders go, i think i will try the h110 on the next batch. Curious if anyone has any luck or tried Enforcer or Accurate No. 9? Or maybe N120?

IMHO, there is a place on the loading bench for a set (or two) of calipers but equally important is a micrometer for precise readings. A reliable micrometer doesn't have to break the bank, though you certainly can invest in a high buck one if you want. There are excellent value, name brand mics on Ebay, that may be a little dusty or show usage marks but which are worthy of their name sakes.

Here's an excellent one for a very reasonable price on Ebay. Link

Its the same model I use.

Hoot

Roger that. Thanks for the link!
Kawi-vn750

Postby Kawi-vn750 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:43 pm

Kawi-vn750 wrote:
LeaderOfThePack wrote:Hi. I have some info, collected from here, about loads with Vihtavuori powders. I have written up at least N120 with xtp 300, and those might be pretty close to ones suitable for 300gr deep curl.

I would love any info you’d be willing to share with the Vihtavuori powders. I’ve made a few attempts to find load data on here with no avail. Still trying to find my way around the forum.
Kawi-vn750

Postby LeaderOfThePack » Thu May 16, 2019 12:43 pm

Hornady XTP 300 / c.o.l 2.065 / Case: Hornady / Primer: Winchester WSR / Powder: Vihtavuori N120
32.5gr. 1500fps
34.2gr. 1600fps
36 2gr. 1700fps
37.7gr. 1800fps
End load 39.5gr 1900fps

Just remember that these are copy-of-copy, and should be read as such.
LeaderOfThePack

Postby Kawi-vn750 » Sat May 18, 2019 6:14 pm

LeaderOfThePack wrote:Hornady XTP 300 / c.o.l 2.065 / Case: Hornady / Primer: Winchester WSR / Powder: Vihtavuori N120
32.5gr. 1500fps
34.2gr. 1600fps
36 2gr. 1700fps
37.7gr. 1800fps
End load 39.5gr 1900fps

Just remember that these are copy-of-copy, and should be read as such.

Thank you sir! Now to make a choice of powder for the next batch. H110/296, N120, enforcer or maybe 4100... I’m sure inventory at the local shop will help me decide
Kawi-vn750

Postby Kawi-vn750 » Sat May 18, 2019 6:19 pm

Might also try stuffing in more of the lil’ gun and see if I can break through the plateau . Highest load last time out was 45.5 grains with the 225ftx and 36 grains with the 300 grain Speer Deep Curl.
Kawi-vn750

Postby Hoot » Sun May 19, 2019 10:32 am

Hoot wrote:...snip...There are excellent value, name brand mics on Ebay, that may be a little dusty or show usage marks but which are worthy of their name sakes.

Here's an excellent one for a very reasonable price on Ebay. Link

Its the same model I use.

Hoot

I can't believe no one here has scarfed this excellent deal since I posted it. If its not gone by this evening, I will buy it as a backup to the identical one I have and swear by. :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b