Thankyou and some advise please - New Guy

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Thankyou and some advise please - New Guy

Postby tnek13 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:20 pm

First I would like to say thank you to all the folks that have posted on this site because I have learned a lot about the 450 Bushmaster. I only regret that I started ordering parts before I spent the better part of a couple of days reading old threads and learning much. I have built rifles in 223, 6.5 Grendel and 300 Ham’r. I have experienced over gassed builds, under gassed builds, and perfect builds. My biggest problem seems to be over thinking stuff and my second is not asking for advise. I will probably never solve the first one , but I figure it is about time to solve the second problem. I would appreciate some advise before I spend more money on parts. ( Example I picked up an upper receiver and then found out I needed one with an enlarged ejection port, so I bought an Aero XL to get there enlarged port which is OK since I am sure this is not my last build.)

So here goes, my questions.

Is it better to go with an A1/A2 butt stock, spring and buffer or a Carbine adjustable stock set?

Is a muzzle break recommended ? And if so, which brand?

Should I call X-Caliber and see what size gas port hole they use in the 450 Bushmaster barrel?

Barrel = X-Caliber 18” mid length gas, muzzle thread 11/16X24, Heavy SoCom profile
BCG - 45 Bushmaster bolt, Rubber City Armory
Gas block + Superlative Arms adjustable
Receiver = Aero XL
Trigger = LaRue tactical
Handguard and spall parts = TBD

Thanks in advance , all advise welcome.
tnek13

Re: Thankyou and some advise please - New Guy

Postby Bmt85 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:49 pm

Welcome!

Later on if you decide to build another 450B, you can open the ejection port on a standard upper with a dremel. Many have done it, myself included, works just fine. There’s a couple threads about it, Hoot has provided pics of it. Just for future reference.

Stock system doesn’t really matter. I know some here only run rifle (A1/A2) stocks, while others (like myself), only run carbine stocks. Personal preference really.

A muzzle brake is not necessary, but is nice to have. If you run a very effective muzzle brake, such as a Ross brake, plan on wearing ear pro anytime you shoot it, especially when hunting in a deer blind! I tried it once without, never again!

I personally don’t see a need to call X-caliber, unless you really want to. Your planning on running an adjustable gas block on a midlength gas system, so you should be good. You can always go the route of running more weight in the carrier or buffer instead of an adjustable gas block, if the system is over gassed. If it ends up having too small of port, you can open it a little at a time, until you get enough gas.

My personal opinion, switch to a different adjustable gas block. I’m not a fan of limiting gas to cycle the system by venting it out to the open. I prefer to run SLR Sentry’s and keep the excess gas in the barrel. They sell a nice jigs, so installation is easy for the set screw blocks. You’ll probably pick up a few FPS, too. Not much, but still.

One issue you might run into is trying to find a hand guard that will fit over an adjustable gas block bigger than .750. I believe a lot of the common rails won’t fit a .875 adjustable. Edit - .936 gas block not .875
Last edited by Bmt85 on Tue May 21, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmt85

Postby tnek13 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:04 pm

Thank you, I only chose the Superlative Arms block since X-Caliber recommends them, I have SLR on my 300 Ham'r. Oh well, as I said I always need advise Thanks again
tnek13

Postby 303hunter » Tue May 21, 2019 4:49 pm

Another brake option is the Kaw Valley linear. Not quite the recoil reduction of a ported brake, but still does a good job. It’s also MUCH quieter.
303hunter

Postby Bmt85 » Tue May 21, 2019 5:47 pm

I edited my last post because I actually meant you might have issues finding a rail for a .936 gas block. A .875 shouldn’t be an issue.
Bmt85

Return to AR15 Style Rifles