Lead cast bullets

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Lead cast bullets

Postby Smithjdsr » Mon May 27, 2019 12:58 pm

Asking for a friend (literally- I wish I had them and I wish I paid what he paid...)

Would you shoot these out of a Bushy AR? Load suggestion?

John

“Remember; No matter where you go, there you are.” -Buckaroo Banzai
Smithjdsr

Re: Lead cast bullets

Postby Bmt85 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:20 pm

Through a bolt action, sure. An AR, I personally would not.

With a bolt action you could run powder like trail boss, and have a super light plinker.

With an AR, one member here had an issue with gas checks going past the gas port. On top of that, you want to watch your speed with cast bullets, which means light loads. So trying to find a load slow enough for those bullets, but enough pressure and gas to operate the gas system, might be chore. Especially if your running a gas system longer than carbine length.

Me personally, if I was going to run cast through an AR, I would run at least 350gr. You can keep the pressure and gas volume up, with out getting too much speed, which will help with cycling. I would also powder coat em, instead of a gas check.

With all that, I don’t shoot cast, it’s just my opinion.
Bmt85

Postby Smithjdsr » Mon May 27, 2019 6:29 pm

Ok. Thanks. I’ll tell him.

Also good for me to know. So far I’m real happy with Hornady XTP’s but if I was going to move toward cast some day, I’ll check before getting the wrong thing. Still really liking those 225 grain Hornadys.
John

Smithjdsr

Postby plant_one » Tue May 28, 2019 9:52 am

if you need gas volume for cycling an ar - just run a powder like 4227, 1680 or shooters world blackout (aka: lovex do-63)

generally speaking.... those powders known for producing lots of gas volume at reasonable pressures - even at low velocity levels. and 1680 & do63 it tends to shine with heavy for caliber bullets... when used with light for caliber bullets it will still operate the gun, but it generally give lower velocity than other powders. it does make them excellent choices for running subsonic loads in an ar though.

an AR doesnt necessarily cycle by the amount of gas pressure, but moreso by the volume of gas produced while a powder burns. yes pressure comes into play..... you can produce all kinds of pressure - often more than enough if the wrong powder is chosen - which can be very very very bad in extreme cases! - but if theres not enough total gas volume produced you still wont cycle properly.

hth
plant_one

Postby Smithjdsr » Tue May 28, 2019 2:28 pm

Hm. As a new-comer to the AR world and crawling back in to reloading, these are issues I didn’t realize exist.

I’m playing with .223 loads- been doing Bob’s Bullets 55 gr FMJ BT over IMR 4198 and I’m happy with everything except power measuring; the rods get sheared and make the handle jerky. I’m happy with the accuracy and cycling, but I have to find something that measures easier. Next up is Benchmark.

For Bushy, the warnings here make me a little leery of cast bullets. I don’t need super heavy for whitetail deer, and the Hornady 225’s are not terribly expensive and seem to be almost as appropriate as the 250’s. Not sure why I’d even try something else yet?
John

Smithjdsr

Postby Bmt85 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:49 pm

Idk about 4227, but I know 1680 and Blackout want a higher weight bullet to get a good burn. A tried both powders with the 275 TSX and some sized down Hornady 325’s that Hoot sent me when I loaned him sizers. Ended up dusting the inside of my AR with unburnt powder. I didn’t hit max load, so it should clean up with higher charges, but trying to use them on a 300gr light load probably won’t work out too well.
Bmt85

Postby 303hunter » Wed May 29, 2019 7:58 am

Smithjdsr wrote:Hm. As a new-comer to the AR world and crawling back in to reloading, these are issues I didn’t realize exist.

I’m playing with .223 loads- been doing Bob’s Bullets 55 gr FMJ BT over IMR 4198 and I’m happy with everything except power measuring; the rods get sheared and make the handle jerky. I’m happy with the accuracy and cycling, but I have to find something that measures easier. Next up is Benchmark.

For Bushy, the warnings here make me a little leery of cast bullets. I don’t need super heavy for whitetail deer, and the Hornady 225’s are not terribly expensive and seem to be almost as appropriate as the 250’s. Not sure why I’d even try something else yet?

Try Hodgdon CFE 223 with your 223 loads. It meters great, and both power and accuracy are gtg.
303hunter

Postby Smithjdsr » Wed May 29, 2019 9:13 am

303hunter wrote:Try Hodgdon CFE 223 with your 223 loads. It meters great, and both power and accuracy are gtg.

I just have to vent. Sorry. You have no idea how much I’d like to try CFE223...

Went to get some components yesterday. Here’s my frustration with my LGS. (They have primers, I’ll give them that.) I asked about powder for .223
The kid behind the counter went, “Oh, I...” (points) “He...”
From across the shop, “What do you need?”
Me (starting the list list I was given of good .223 powders from a knowledgeable friend), “CFE223”
Him, ”Of course. For 223... no, we don’t have that.”
Same for the rest of the list. He knew what they SHOULD have. Also knew they didn’t have it.
Bullets are worse. Never in bulk. Never the economical kind (Berrry’s, Bob’s, Hornady seconds...)
This is what happens when a bow hunter buys a gun shop- his archery section is second to none. His guns and reloading section, not so much.

Everything else is an hour-and-a-half drive, or pay hazmat. And wait. Rarely can go today, buy what I need, and go home and load it. 180 mile round trip raises the price and time significantly.
John

Smithjdsr

Postby Hoot » Wed May 29, 2019 12:47 pm

See if they stock IMR 4166 Enduron. It also has a copper fouling eliminator additive.

Hoot

Edit: gives up about 200fps for the same pressure using 62gr FMJ, similar to H4895.
I don't do 223 Rem, so have never used it. I do have CFE223 but have only tried it in my frend's 243 because he's lazy or pigheaded, not sure which is a bigger factor in deciding how often to clean (or not). ;)
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Smithjdsr » Wed May 29, 2019 2:18 pm

I will check. Also file that away for future. I have .243 dies an brass and my son is eyeing a .243 rifle...
John

Smithjdsr

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b