Reloading and Glock

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Reloading and Glock

Postby Smithjdsr » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:20 pm

I see in some in places that reloads are a particular problem in Glocks. Is this;
1) Urban myth and there’s no difference in shooting reloads in Glock or any other manufacturers long as they’re properly loaded
2) True
3) True, But only for Gen 1 & 2, as some of the rumor mill has it
4) True, but only for certain calibers or models
5) False

Are there specific things that need to be referenced? Glock 43 with jacketed bullets or lead powdercoated.
Glock 30s with jacketed bullets or powdercoated bullets?
John

“Remember; No matter where you go, there you are.” -Buckaroo Banzai
Smithjdsr

Re: Reloading and Glock

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:09 am

Mostly false. Early 40cal glocks lacked chamber support and some cases would get a little bulge in the brass which a sizing die wouldn't iron out all the way. Chances of them clambering in any brand of gun was 50/50 at best. I know Lee makes a die like their bullet sizing die to iron that out. Not sure if that was a issue in every caliber or just 40's but havent heard much about it with the later gen models.

Have heard cast bullets were not recommended in stock polygonal rifles barrels, not sure if that would include PC coated or not.

Easiest fix to shoot cast and get better chamber support is with a aftermarket barrel.
Al in Mi

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:32 am

I agree with Al, mostly false.

I have reloaded 9mm a little, only 9mm’s I have right now are Glocks, and almost all my brass comes from them. It’s been a while, but I don’t remember having an issue with bulging case, I did come across a few pieces of once fired brass with the Glock bulge, but don’t know what it was from, I ended up trashing those. I first started off using WSF powder, but it likes to run on the higher end of loads. I only wanted to load plinking loads and was a little worried about the bulge, so switched to True Blue. It’s a good powder for both 9mm and 45 acp.

As to lead or coated, I haven’t ran either and probably won’t. I have heard of some people doing it with a stock barrel, so it is possible. Actually, I came across one guy who wore out a glock (with factory barrel) and all he loads is lead. Don’t know if there’s something special you have to do or not. To be on the safe side, I would change barrels.
Bmt85

Postby plant_one » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:14 am

the glock bulge from my research (as a xd40 owner) was only really an issue as noted with 40, as well as 380

they left the rear of the cartridge at the feed ramp unsupported to aid in reliable chambering during cycling.

lee makes a kit called the "bulge buster" to take that out, but brass thats been fired in an unsupported glock chamber should never be resized and fired again in an unsupported chamber. i guess it increases the likely hood for failure quite a bit.
https://leeprecision.com/case-condition ... uster-kit/

i dont recall reading that it was an issue with 9mm, or other calibers.

as also noted - there are a pluthera of aftermarket barrels for glocks that do not have said unsupported chamber issue with them that would allow safe usage of reloaded ammo in them.

one big perk is - 40 brass is *CHEAP* so you can cull out buldged brass easily and affordably if needed.

here's a pic i found on the web of the infamous bulge, aka the glock smile

and as you can see from this pic the difference between an unsupported and fully supported chamber based on where the feed ramp is cut to

hth
plant_one

Postby Smithjdsr » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:29 pm

Ok. Thanks. So, basically, time to stop perpetuating an unfruitful rumor and head to the range.

Thanks, all. I feel much better now.
John

Smithjdsr

Postby plant_one » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:51 am

not so much rumor.. you just need to know what to be aware of and how to deal with it if you come across it.
plant_one

Postby fatbastard » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:17 pm

I ran into this issue as well when I started reloading for my G22. It happened on my first batch of test loads, I had a few rounds that needed a "forward assist" to chamber. Just so happened that I had a second match grade barrel with me that I bought to skirt the cast bullets problem and tried it. The rounds with a visible bulge would not chamber at all in this barrel. I got a bulge buster and ran a couple hundred of my reloaded rounds through it and problem solved. I have "busted" and reloaded some cases more than once without issue. I can't say for sure how much it reduces case longevity because I don't keep track of firings on semi-auto pistol brass but I have also had some of these cases fail, as in crack at the bulge...none catastrophic of course. I do cull a lot more .40 and a way lot more .357 Sig because of it though.

I found the problem worse with .357 Sig just like it is worse with .40 than 9mm but the bulge buster for .40 works well enough on .357 Sig to reload them for my Glock and have them work in my 1911 as well.
fatbastard

Postby Smithjdsr » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:37 pm

At this time the only Glocks I have are G43 and G30s. (Or at least I did have them until all my guns were lost in a tragic boating mishap.) Since I don’t have a chamber gauge for either 9mm or .45 I just pull the barrel and use it. By the time I hit the range, I know for a fact that every round will chamber with nothing more than gravity. When I load the coated lead bullets, I tend toward the middle to low end of the published loads- they’re just for punching holes in paper anyway.
John

Smithjdsr

Return to Reloading