load data please for 225gr lead bullet

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: load data please for 225gr lead bullet

Postby Hoot » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:48 pm

antman wrote:OK I have small rifle primers as well. I assumed it would use large, sorry newbie here. I have the federal GM205MAR match ones. I can get that same primer in magnum. Would that be better? I'm in Hawaii so at the mercy of whatever my gunstores have.
Thanks,
Ant...

I have no experience with the suffix AR variant but Google coughed up plenty of info. They should work. Can't predict how well in this caliber but perhaps someone here has experience with them specifically in the 450b. Sounds like an opportunity for a new Range Report. Its been snowing here for what seems like an eternity. Hoot don't play that. :roll: The good news is only 5 more months of putting up with it.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby antman » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:45 pm

I used to live in MN as a kid so I know what its like. I do not even have the gun yet but its on its way. I just started reloading about 2 months ago but I am pretty obsessed with it. Looking forward to reloading the 450. No 450 ammo here so looks like I will be just using what I load. Read a bit about your crimp device using a LFC. I do have a 45LC LFC at this stage(use washers as shims??) and a bushmaster LFC on the way. How vital is that side crimp? What do you use to trim the width of that collet for a smaller ring? I do understand that a heavy crimp at the bullet end is undesirable and a safety issue. Thanks for all the info.
Ant..
antman

Postby Hoot » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:56 pm

antman wrote:I used to live in MN as a kid so I know what its like. I do not even have the gun yet but its on its way. I just started reloading about 2 months ago but I am pretty obsessed with it. Looking forward to reloading the 450. No 450 ammo here so looks like I will be just using what I load. Read a bit about your crimp device using a LFC. I do have a 45LC LFC at this stage(use washers as shims??) and a bushmaster LFC on the way. How vital is that side crimp? What do you use to trim the width of that collet for a smaller ring? I do understand that a heavy crimp at the bullet end is undesirable and a safety issue. Thanks for all the info.
Ant..

At a case length of 1.285, that's a lot of shimming to move the crimp up to a 450b case length. that's not even considering whether a 450b case will even fit inside the 45LC die. The 45LC has a narrower base than the 450b, so it may bind at some point trying to pass it through the 45LC die. Better off waiting for the 450b LFC and modding it. Yes, you want the resultant ring to be narrower in order to impart the crimp through the case into the inside surface without caving a large area in alongside it as well. Whatever you produce for a side crimp, there will still be a learning curve to get the amount of constriction just right, depending upon which bullet you use. IIRC, I've never modded the 450b LFC for use as a side crimp. Just the 45-70 and the 460 S&W. Same process however. Good hands on learning experience. Image

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby parker1972 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:20 am

42 grains of lil gun using the hornady 225ftx will do the job on any deer size game
parker1972

Previous

Return to Reloading