450 Bushy/Thumper pistol.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

450 Bushy/Thumper pistol.

Postby SecondChance » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:56 pm

Well, l built my upper .450 Bushy/Thumper for hogs n deer. Build went well. Rock River upper, Bart Baldwin barrel and muzzle brake. I had a pepperpot brake also, so l put that on and so far l like it. Will try barts later.
Built a lower, used a ATI pistol grip and recoil buffer tube. Heaviest springs and buffer l could find. Had a friend TIG a plate over the mag well to make it Commynois legal to use for deer here. Had 2 CPOs look at it and gave their blessings.
My MagPul PRS stock was used to sight in for range work. Little over 1-3/4" 3 shot at 100yds, 3X9X40MM scope. GOOD TO GO!!!
Well, l slap on that pistol lower and here we go. Concrete bench at range l shoot at. I sand bag it, trying to figure out how to hold this flippn monster with no stock. Short eye relief scope, over site on my part. Hope no stitches are going to be part of todays itenary!!!
I hold onto forearm best as l can, GORILLA grip pistol grip. Set my sights, ease safety off, re-aquire scope picture, SQUEEZE trigger, and this monster lights up!!! OMFG!!!! What a handfull!!! Quick face check, no blood, no lips or teeth missing!! Go for 2nd round. Hand feed, drop bolt, acquire target, lettr rip!!! 2nd round 2 inches right of bullseye!! Just right of the 1st.
Good to go!! Load 3rd and final round. Lock n load, wrastle this beast onto the bags, decide to overlap hand onto buffer tube for "More enhanced grip". My a$&!!!! I let that beast feast and it comes back and pops me in the nose/upper lip like a quick boxing jab. I'M DONE!!! No blood, but things sure are smelling funny for awhile!!!
SO, that being said, may a .300 BO doesnt sound so bad of a build after all!!! Just a barrel and bolt face change isnt too hard!!
SecondChance

Re: 450 Bushy/Thumper pistol.

Postby plant_one » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:04 pm

ouch.

ya ive shot my 20" upper on my pistol lower, but never anything shorter. wasnt terrible, but then again i wasnt shooting off bags.

i keep getting tempted by one of the 10.5's, but that makes it too long for me to carry under MI CPL rules (26" cap) without taking my Law Folder off so .. meh...

if you want a straight wall with less recoil, get ahold of a legend barrel. something to consider anyway.

glad other than maybe some bruises and swelling the only injury was to your pride.
plant_one

Postby SecondChance » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:56 pm

My barrel is 18" with 72 ports muzzle brake. So thank god l didnt go with a shorter barrel!!!
SecondChance

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:43 pm

I am totally mystified why anyone would want a pistol in 450BM, but to each his own.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:39 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:I am totally mystified why anyone would want a pistol in 450BM, but to each his own.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Bmt85 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:03 pm

SecondChance wrote:My barrel is 18" with 72 ports muzzle brake. So thank god l didnt go with a shorter barrel!!!

Is there a reason you are running a rifle upper on a pistol lower? Stupid state law I presume.
Are you running a brace? Are you allowed to in your state?
Bmt85

Postby Bmt85 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:12 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:I am totally mystified why anyone would want a pistol in 450BM, but to each his own.

If you can use a brace, then why not.

If you can't run a brace, then yeah, a 450B pistol would suck. Hell I had a 10.5" 5.56 pistol, before braces were out, and it was so overgassed (even with an H3 buffer and XP spring), that shooting it wasn't much fun. Since braces, I have a few pistol uppers, they're great.
Bmt85

Postby coyote wacker » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:58 am

Pay $200 for a Stamp....wait and wait some more ....shoot any caliber and barrel under 16" you want....
coyote wacker

Postby plant_one » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:15 am

for the same reason people want 500 S&W revolvers - because they can.
plant_one

Postby plant_one » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:22 am

Bmt85 wrote:Hell I had a 10.5" 5.56 pistol, before braces were out, and it was so overgassed (even with an H3 buffer and XP spring), that shooting it wasn't much fun. Since braces, I have a few pistol uppers, they're great.

poorly designed systems are never fun. i bet if you'd put an AGB on there, or if the mfg hadnt over drilled the gas port it would likely be a blast to shoot. still a fire breathing dragon but more manageable at least! :mrgreen:

ive got a 12" 556 upper and that thing is a hoot to shoot with a standard spring and a simple h2 buffer which is my normal pistol lower config. i havent shot it suppresssed yet so that might change, but if it does i'll just correct it. its still got the milspec style handguard so when i get to doing some swaping i'll probably stuff an AGB on there just to be safe. i got it through a work contact when his dad passed away so the price was too good to pass up even if it might need some modification.
plant_one

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles