magazine problems

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

magazine problems

Postby kbstenberg » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:49 am

I have my Franken Axis running real good in the shooting end of things. Cast bullets PC with every level of power from heavy to lite loads.
The fly in the ointment is that i haven"t a clue on how to adjust my 308 magazine to except and feed the 450 case. I am not one to experiment by whiteling away at the lips of the magazine to get it to feed. Anyone with experiance on the subject, I am all ears. Kevin
kbstenberg

Re: magazine problems

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:46 am

You can try opening up the lips a little so the round sits higher.
Al in Mi

Postby Rich44 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:43 am

What exactly are the rounds doing, nose diving? Although not a Savage I was having feeding problems with HS mags the rounds were nose diving before going into the chamber I fixed it by glueing a small plastic wedge on the follower I also had to adjust the feed lips a bit.
Video on how to modify Savage magazine for the 450 bushmaster
https://youtu.be/x2jJhj5Zd10
Rich44

Postby GaCop » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:44 am

New member chiming in a little late but, a forum member on the Savage site solved his Bushmaster feeding problems in his Axis by installing a half inch plastic block in the rear of his mag box. He then cut 1/2" off his follower and reattached the mag spring more forward on the follower. Now rounds feed smoothly he stated. Tried his mag modification on my Axis mag. It feeds the FTX nicely but 300 gr XTPs still hang up. Mouth of the case hangs on the front of the mag box. I lowered the front of the mag box s much as I can with a Dremel and sanding drum but they still hang up?
Vietnam Vet Jun 66 - Dec 67
GaCop

Postby 07Kingpin » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:49 pm

Ever get your 450 to feed?
07Kingpin

Postby GaCop » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:16 am

07Kingpin wrote:Ever get your 450 to feed?

No, still fiddling with the magazine. Feeds 250 grain FTX and Hornady 350 grain JRN (458" resized to 452"). Got a 22-250 magazine that I'll have to tweak. Was advised on the Savage forum that the 22-250 mag works the best. Got mine off of eBay for $35 shipped.
GaCop

Postby Bsharp » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:16 pm

GaCop wrote:New member chiming in a little late but, a forum member on the Savage site solved his Bushmaster feeding problems in his Axis by installing a half inch plastic block in the rear of his mag box. He then cut 1/2" off his follower and reattached the mag spring more forward on the follower. Now rounds feed smoothly he stated. Tried his mag modification on my Axis mag. It feeds the FTX nicely but 300 gr XTPs still hang up. Mouth of the case hangs on the front of the mag box. I lowered the front of the mag box s much as I can with a Dremel and sanding drum but they still hang up?

Try opening the feed lips so the the nose sets higher.
Bsharp

Postby GaCop » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:50 am

Bsharp wrote:
GaCop wrote:New member chiming in a little late but, a forum member on the Savage site solved his Bushmaster feeding problems in his Axis by installing a half inch plastic block in the rear of his mag box. He then cut 1/2" off his follower and reattached the mag spring more forward on the follower. Now rounds feed smoothly he stated. Tried his mag modification on my Axis mag. It feeds the FTX nicely but 300 gr XTPs still hang up. Mouth of the case hangs on the front of the mag box. I lowered the front of the mag box s much as I can with a Dremel and sanding drum but they still hang up?

Try opening the feed lips so the the nose sets higher.
Did that. Now with 2 rounds in the mag (all it will hold of 450s) the top round chambers nicely but the last round still won't feed.
GaCop

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:46 am

just for reference and thinking outside the ole box........... this was a mag mod that had to be done with AR10 mags for the 45 Raptor to feed xtp mag bullets.

In your case, what if you moved your rear mag spacer to the front and grooved out a feed ramp similar to this pic?

Al in Mi

Postby GaCop » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:02 am

Al in Mi wrote:just for reference and thinking outside the ole box........... this was a mag mod that had to be done with AR10 mags for the 45 Raptor to feed xtp mag bullets.

In your case, what if you moved your rear mag spacer to the front and grooved out a feed ramp similar to this pic?

That's very interesting! Not sure if that will work with the Savage Axis mags. With the rear of Savage barrels being dead flat and the space for the bolt lugs to rotate, that's the problem area to get flat nose bullets to feed across. I have a hog hunt coming up Tuesday night in southwest Georgia on a friend's property (800 acres) and have a load worked up for the hunt with a 273 grain poly coated hard cast HP with gas check. Pushing it with 13.2 grains of Unique that's grouping clover leaf at 50 yards. 1371 fps out of my 16": Rhineland barrel. This round feed pretty good and I'll be carrying my 45 Colt Blackhawk for backup loaded with 200 grain XTP handloads.
GaCop

Next

Return to Bolt Action Rifles