New feller here. Couple questions

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

New feller here. Couple questions

Postby smokedoff » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:55 pm

Hey guys, new here. Glad I stumbled upon this place as I’m in my first 450 build. I have an 18” mid length Satern barrel and an Odin works agb. Could someone tell me what rails they have used that clear the gas block? Thanks.
smokedoff

Re: New feller here. Couple questions

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:09 am

What is the gas block journal diameter?
What is the height of the gas block over the barrel?
Bmt85

Postby smokedoff » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:47 am

.875 gas block. Sorry, meant to put that in the op.

Height over barrel is .490.
smokedoff

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:42 pm

Well, it looks like your going to need a handguard with and interior diameter of at least 1.86", or at least 1.86" from interior top to bottom. That's if your trying to get it under the handguard. Off the top of my head, I can't think of one that big. You could cut/grind a notch in the handguard to clear the gas block.

IMHO, look for a low profile adjustable gas block, or a non-adjustable, low profile gas block and add weight to the system, i.e. buffer or bolt carrier.
Bmt85

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:10 pm

Just looked at SLR's handguards and gas blocks. If you look at the info for their Sentry 8 set screw block, it says "Note- Needs 1.35" Minimum ID HG (SLR Ion/ Helix HG's OK)".
I'm kind of surprised, because those are slim rails. So, I would go that route.
Bmt85

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:25 pm

most rails have a notch along the top for the gas tube to follow, so the top part of the gas block should fit thru it as well. Getting access to the adjustment screw might be a issue thou.

Look up Just Rails, they have a bunch of different rails at decent prices. Buddy has a few but all his builds been with .750 gas blocks.
Al in Mi

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:15 pm

Al in Mi wrote:most rails have a notch along the top for the gas tube to follow, so the top part of the gas block should fit thru it as well. Getting access to the adjustment screw might be a issue thou.

Look up Just Rails, they have a bunch of different rails at decent prices. Buddy has a few but all his builds been with .750 gas blocks.

Correct there is a space to allow the gas block to go through. Issue is even running a .936 journal and a non-adjustable low profile gas block, you're close to maxing that out. .875 with an adjustable is higher than that. Unless you can find what basically equates to a low profile gas block converted to an adjustable (small set screw drilled into it).

I looked at my barrels with a journal bigger than .750". A .875 journal with a low profile non-adjustable SLR gas block, a bcm handrail is maxed out because the bottom of the block, which there isn't much sticking down, is almost touching the rail. The 12.5" BHW 450 barrel has a .950 journal, running an SLR non-adjustable gas block and an ALG handguard (which is a little on the bigger side for a slim), has a little extra room, but not enough for an adjustable. Thought my aero quantum would have enough for a .875 adjustable gas block, doesn't look like it. I didn't think an SLR rail would have enough, but they specifically say they do.
Bmt85

Postby Bmt85 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:31 am

Al sent me an email talking about the Just Right Rails. It looks like the top of the your gas block should clear, but I question the bottom clearing. Honestly, for the price, I'd give them a try. They are a lot less money then the SLR's, and you already have the gas block.
Bmt85

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:55 am

this was one of the pics I had seen on Just Rails, looks like a big channel up top might accommodate a gas block like yours. Might want to give them a call, they might have answers on that Odin block.

Al in Mi

Postby smokedoff » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:56 am

I ordered an Aero Quantum Raul with bar barrel nut. It seems to have plenty of room in a mock up. My wrench doesn’t fit the barrel nut so now I have to wait on a new wrench to come in.
smokedoff

Return to AR15 Style Rifles