Powder Blending

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Powder Blending

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue May 12, 2020 10:27 pm

I would imagine that the manufacturers definition of “blend” is a lot more complex than our definition of “blend”. That being said, seems that they advertise the term blended powders, I think they’re just trying to impress, dazzle, baffle and bewilder customers. I certainly know that I do not have the type of lab that I would need to actually blend powders. The thought that a few grains of one powder would get stuck to the walls of my powder thrower and mixed with a different type of powder actually gives me an anxiety attack.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby coyote wacker » Fri May 15, 2020 8:13 am

Dick Casull with the 454 Casull cartridges were originally loaded with a triplex load of propellants, which gave progressive burning of 3 layer of different rate of burning powder, aided by the rifle primer ignition, resulting in a progressive acceleration of the bullet as it passed through the barrel.
Have never seen what recipe Casull used , or heard how many gun were damaged or destroyed while "experimenting"....

I have a friend that is a ballistician, inventor has a laboratory with $100,000's in equipment. He dabbles at times in what is called "Blending" to quote him " with off the shelve powders Joe the Reloader can get himself in enough trouble with out playing basement ballistician mixing powders"........

Elmer Keith experimented with "duplex loads" it had nothing to do with 2 different rate of burn powders. It was a case that had a small tube that when from the primer hole to the neck of the case. Igniting the power charge from the top burning to the bottom, opposite of normal ignition.
coyote wacker

Postby plant_one » Fri May 15, 2020 11:30 am

coyote wacker wrote: " with off the shelve powders Joe the Reloader can get himself in enough trouble with out playing basement ballistician mixing powders"........

there's a quote EVERY new (and some long time!) reloader should read, carefully, slowly, and multiple times.

lots of wisdom there in those 21 words. :!: :!: :!:
plant_one

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri May 15, 2020 7:52 pm

plant_one wrote:
coyote wacker wrote: " with off the shelve powders Joe the Reloader can get himself in enough trouble with out playing basement ballistician mixing powders"........

there's a quote EVERY new (and some long time!) reloader should read, carefully, slowly, and multiple times.

lots of wisdom there in those 21 words. :!: :!: :!:

5EA2D99D-28F4-4780-8064-602CF2AD20E4.jpeg
5EA2D99D-28F4-4780-8064-602CF2AD20E4.jpeg (55.63 KiB) Viewed 5750 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Previous

Return to Reloading