250 grain FTX with Lil Gun

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: 250 grain FTX with Lil Gun

Postby s4s4u » Thu May 21, 2020 9:17 am

Decoy Defender wrote:
plant_one wrote:
Decoy Defender wrote:Be careful with those loads. Hodgon data shows a min charge of 35gr of LG and a max of 38.5 with that bullet. 38.5 was the sweet spot for my gun and that weight bullet.

according to hornady's 10th... min charge for lil gun is 25.2 grains... with a max of 37.9 under the 250 ftx.

although like many folks, in my bushmaster 20" upper - as well as two others i've helped friends do load developement on (another bushy 20" and a BCA 18")... 38 grains is the sweet spot.

so while those min loads are relatively light, they shouldnt be anywhere in the range of dangerously low.

HTH

that sounds way too low of a starting charge.

Hornady is notorious for low charge data. I default to Hodgdon, I just wish they tested more bullets.
s4s4u

Postby plant_one » Thu May 21, 2020 1:51 pm

are you suggesting that their published data is unsafe on the starting load side?

or that the max loads are lawyered down exactly for safety reasons?
plant_one

Postby PRKL8R » Thu May 21, 2020 3:23 pm

Lyman's 50th list starting load of 34grs of Lil'Gun behind the 250gr. with max at37.5.Lee manual starts at 35 and max out at 38.5 like Hogden. Be cautious YRMV.
"a citizenry armed with riles cannot be tyrannized." Jeff Cooper
PRKL8R

Postby s4s4u » Thu May 21, 2020 7:50 pm

plant_one wrote:are you suggesting that their published data is unsafe on the starting load side?

Perhaps a little of both. I def think they are uber conservative on max loads. I see it with every cartridge I reference. Whether their starting load is dangerous I cannot say, but it is very low in this case.
s4s4u

Postby plant_one » Sat May 23, 2020 12:59 pm

s4s4u wrote:
plant_one wrote:are you suggesting that their published data is unsafe on the starting load side?

Perhaps a little of both. I def think they are uber conservative on max loads. I see it with every cartridge I reference. Whether their starting load is dangerous I cannot say, but it is very low in this case.

so it begs to question then... if they're lawyering up on the side of caution for their max loads, why wouldnt they ALSO publish on the side of caution on the low side - ie: higher than the actual min safety point is?

i guess i'm suggesting that saying they're doing one and potentially ignoring the other isnt a very logical statement. if the legal team is making them moderate their published data from their test results, why would they only do so on one extreme of their info, right? thats like wearing plaids and stripes - it just doesnt match up.

i wholeheartedly agree with you that their data for minimum is way lower than i'm ever gonna shoot for this combination, but again i was just using that data as a reference point for where a safety threshold is - being that its published data, and unchanged in several editions no less - because it was said the OP starting powder charge used was low and should be used with caution and nothing more.

our personal opinions of where to start and where to end or who's data set we prefer to use - myself and my preferences included - had nothing to do with why i referenced hornady's min/max data.

plant_one wrote:
i'm just sharing the info THEY provide. i'm also not saying that i would start there either. i dont see a reason to start that low, i'm just suggesting that if its published, repeatedly, by hornady - its at least *safe*
plant_one

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b