To brake or not to brake?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

To brake or not to brake?

Postby s4s4u » Sun May 17, 2020 9:56 am

That is the question. My experience with muzzle brakes is that they excel for small bore large capacity cartridges but less so with big bores. Is a brake necessary or very effective on a 450B 16" barrel? I am not recoil sensitive, in fact I even find it exhilarating. But, for the sake of the platform would a brake be advantageous? The reason I ask is that CDNN has 450B barrels for $100 made by Bushmaster, but I want a 16" for handling and was going to cut it down and crown it, no threads.

TIA, Rod
s4s4u

Re: To brake or not to brake?

Postby Al in Mi » Sun May 17, 2020 10:18 am

I have a Ross brake on my 16" factory Bushey, couldn't be more pleased. Added about 1 1/2" I think. They are loud for sure.
Al in Mi

Postby Bmt85 » Sun May 17, 2020 3:32 pm

A brake is effective on the 450. I have an 18" Tromix upper with a 4 port Ross brake and a 20" BHW without threads. I use the same lower for both and that has a CTR stock with Limbsaver pad. The Tromix is towards the lighter end, compared to my other upper's. The 20" BHW is my heaviest. The Tromix build still jumps around, but I can shoot it all day, the BHW takes a toll after a few mags.

IMO, if your setting up a hunting rig, then the recoil difference between having a brake or not, doesn't really matter. I don't pay attention to recoil when I'm hunting. Also, you might not want a comp/brake when hunting. One hunt I took the Tromix on, I was basically in a small shed, had multiple windows, all open, as was the door. I didn't bring hearing protection along, but thought I'd be ok. Stuck the muzzle out about as far as I could and fired. I was basically dazed for a second or 2, and me hearing was seriously messed up for a few days, and still didn't get back normal for another week or so. It definitely did permanent damage. Won't do that again.

With the Bushmaster barrel, you might not want to go that route. The Bushmaster barrels are chrome lined. I've heard some people cut down chrome lined barrels, and they don't have an issue, others have had the lining start to flake off. If you do go that route, I wouldn't use any cleaners that eat copper. Chrome lined barrels have a thin layer of copper to bond the chrome to the barrel. Some recommend against running any copper solvent in a chrome lined barrel, regardless.
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Sun May 17, 2020 9:26 pm

Bmt85 wrote:...snip...With the Bushmaster barrel, you might not want to go that route...snip

I highly agree. Do nothing to compromise the continuity of the beginning, middle or end of that chrome lining! Unless you're a pygmy, the extra 4 inches would effect handling in all but the most unusual situations like CQB. Add to that, the extra 4 inches will net you more (free) velocity and reduce muzzle blast, brake or no brake. On that subject, while the 450b is the antithesis of overbore, it does benefit somewhat from the brake at the expense of having to wear hearing protection. I've have two 450b's and both have Ross brakes. I've had surgery on my shooting shoulder and like it to stay working the way it is, so I like muzzle brakes. Any reduction is fine by me. Truth be told, I've been spending an inordinate amount of my shooting time lately with 6 and 6.5mm caliber bolt actions. Heavy ones to boot. Not that I find my 450b recoil adverse, more out of running out of 450b experiments that need doing after 10 years at it. Since I just retired and no longer have the overtime spigot to drink from, I'm not too interested in paying dearly for the new, boutique 450b bullets that have come on the market lately. I consider 35₵ for boutique 6 and 6.5mm bullets at or near the pain threshold. At least until my pension checks start arriving. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby s4s4u » Mon May 18, 2020 9:03 am

Thanks for the replies. I have researched cutting chrome lined barrels and it seems to be a non-issue if done properly. Adco cuts them all the time and have had no complaints. I think I am going try it and if it goes bad I am only out $100. I know it's only 4", but 4" is 4" more than I want on the end of this rifle. The 450 doesn't lose much steam from 20 to 16 inches due to the bore size and I want this to be as compact as possible. I even considered building a 10-1/2" pistol but want a proper stock on this rather than a brace.

Again, I appreciate all who take the time to answer my questions, Rod.
s4s4u

Postby PRKL8R » Mon May 18, 2020 12:57 pm

Congrats Hoot on retirement. Hope you can enjoy it. CHF has put a major kink in mine. With regards to muzzle brakes IMHO its tied to mission. If you spend a lot of time on the bench get all the brake and hearing protection you can. But for hunting in the jackoaks and laurel chasing behind hounds to catch bear here in Va. and West Va. I want the shortest rifle legal. It can be like CQB.
"a citizenry armed with riles cannot be tyrannized." Jeff Cooper
PRKL8R

Postby 303hunter » Tue May 19, 2020 11:03 am

I’ve tried ported brakes, and don’t like them for hunting, they’re just too loud. My compromise is the Kaw Valley linear brake. It doesn’t reduce recoil as much as a ported brake, but it is a noticeable amount. Linear brakes also direct sound down range, and that’s great for a hunter or someone at a covered range.
303hunter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue May 19, 2020 6:48 pm

303hunter wrote:I’ve tried ported brakes, and don’t like them for hunting, they’re just too loud. My compromise is the Kaw Valley linear brake. It doesn’t reduce recoil as much as a ported brake, but it is a noticeable amount. Linear brakes also direct sound down range, and that’s great for a hunter or someone at a covered range.

Which brake are you using? The 45ACP or the 458 SOCOM brake they make?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 303hunter » Thu May 28, 2020 11:45 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
303hunter wrote:I’ve tried ported brakes, and don’t like them for hunting, they’re just too loud. My compromise is the Kaw Valley linear brake. It doesn’t reduce recoil as much as a ported brake, but it is a noticeable amount. Linear brakes also direct sound down range, and that’s great for a hunter or someone at a covered range.

I’m using the 458 SOCOM brake in 5/8x32. Don’t know why BCA uses this thread pattern, but it is what it is.
303hunter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu May 28, 2020 10:57 pm

303hunter wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:

I’m using the 458 SOCOM brake in 5/8x32. Don’t know why BCA uses this thread pattern, but it is what it is.

Thanks.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles