350 legend

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 350 legend

Postby Thom28 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:18 pm

offrink wrote:My 76 year old dad wants to stay out hunting as he ages. He finally is giving up the smooth bore 20 gauge Stevens he has shot most of his life. He likes my 450 bushmaster (the accuracy and down range energy) but I’m thinking the softer recoil from the 350 would be happier with his aging body. Being a “young” guy I would like the experience of those more mature and have shot the 350 to get some first hand experience.

I am a couple of years younger than your Dad and have both the 450 and the 350 in bolt guns. 350s are the Winchester XPR and the TC Venture II. Both are 22" barrels with 1:16TR. They are both accurate rifles with the Venture having a better trigger. Out of the box, trigger broke crisp with no over travel at 3lbs. Both shoot sub-moa groups at 100yars with Hornady 170gr Interloack SP handloads. Nice thing about these rifles is you can shoot them all day long with no wear and tear on your shoulder.

I have not shot the 350 in an AR and so am not able to give you any information on them. I guess I am just "old school" and prefer bolt action rifles.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby plant_one » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:24 am

ran a few of these little fella's today. i swear.. they accidently fell into the cases :mrgreen: just some basic function testing and looking at pressure.

2.050" OAL and they cycled fine with lil gun and really smacked the gong solid. they must have been zinging lol

will try to get some chrono data tomorrow to see just how fast they are :mrgreen: i'm betting they're gonna be explosive on racoon/groundhog sized critters lol
plant_one

Postby cwlongshot » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:48 am

I shot the SCR Saturday. 100% Cycling BUT the 147 GDHP I loaded as blasters... Refuse to feed. Hahaha. But single loaded they where fine. The 26g/296 load was 2010 fps and 3" 100 yard groups. NothiNg to brag on. But 190 RD cast 27g re7 shot 1/2" @50!

My other loaded that shot well in the bolt, didnt shoot accurately in the AR. BUT the barrel needs break in so Im hoping things settle with more ahooting.

CW
cwlongshot

Postby plant_one » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:32 pm

i didnt get to chrono - or even shoot the 124's yesterday.

after a couple boxes i started getting misfeeds - not going into full battery - even with factory ammo .... on several mags.

not sure whats the culprit yet, shouldnt be dirty enough yet but tough to say. i still gotta break it down to find out what the heck is going on.
plant_one

Postby cwlongshot » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:53 am

Is your Brass trimmed??

Thsi caliber is PLAGUED with inconsistent brass measurements.

So much I REFUSE to shoot anything factory.

https://youtu.be/7UjApxeQQeo

CW
cwlongshot

Postby plant_one » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:33 am

looks like i had a bolt fouling issue.

when i was ordering parts - all i could find (without paying crazy shipping) was a melonited gas tube.

i think a bunch of the schmoo leftover from the melonite process blew back into the bolt and even with an empty chamber going into full battery was taking some effort. the bolt did not want to move right when i removed the bcg from the gun. i recall reading somewhere about that being an issues in the past now that i think back on it trying to figure out where all that crap came from on the bolt tail and around the gas rings.

did a heavy cleaning of the bcg, the ultrasonic water looked AWFUL. my bcg from my 223 or 300 black after a heavy range session full suppressed doesnt come out that cruddy. Yuck! scrubbed everything back up and will be heading to my cousins for some test firing in the next day or so.

bolt cycles nicely now though by hand that its got all the crud removed and whatnot.

i did order a lee quick trim die though now that i'm aware theres a massive trimming consistency issue. thanks for the heads up. i wish there was a legend forum similar to the bushmaster forum here that i could tap into. the fb group isnt super helpful so far, but that will shake out as time goes on. its just not as easy to look up info there as it is here in the standard web forum format.
plant_one

Postby cwlongshot » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:37 am

I have a TON of information in a couple threads on the Bushcraft site.

Here is a link. Plus WAY more active than this ghost town. ;) Good folks too.
http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/m ... ad.274996/

Im cwlongshot everywhere. Look/search me.

CW
cwlongshot

Postby cwlongshot » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:32 am

IMR 4227 feed and cycled 100%

22g and a re sized 180 SSP was a weiner producing a .508" 5 shot group!! No chrono but QL says 2000 fps.

CW
cwlongshot

Postby AR Sarge » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:31 am

Killed my first 350 Legend deer yesterday evening with Winchester 150gr Extreme Point ammo.

Big doe, about 20 yards, walking directly away from me. Rifle height was about 20 feet above. Impact was about 8 or so inches behind her shoulder and took out about three inches of her spine. Exited just to the left of her sternum and I did not recover the bullet. She dropped right there, obviously. Chest cavity was pretty much scrambled, but the heart was intact.

Taking out the spine really doesn’t tell much about the ammo; a 22lr through the spine would work also, but she was dead within seconds due to the overall trauma.

She’ll hang and age for a week or so, then the cutting begins!
AR Sarge

Postby cwlongshot » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:59 am

Awesome report Sarge!! Congratulations on the viddles!!!

I too took a 145# deer this year with the 350! I used my own cast MP 220 hp cast in 20:1 allow impact was about 1400 fps. Complete pass thru lo lungs. Smack thru the heart with a 2" hole. 3/8" entry and nickel sized exit in arm pit then thru meaty part of eldow no bone there but part of rib on entry and centered flat rib on exit.

Deer was walking dead broadside shot was like yours about 30/40 feet above. Derr traveled 40/60 yerds and tipped over on his nose after jumping small stone wall. All within my sight.

Thats super impressive that that low SD 150g bullet took out so much spine! But its sure impressive!!!

CW
cwlongshot

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms