HDY FTX 250 Coming apart

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: HDY FTX 250 Coming apart

Postby plant_one » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:33 am

ya man.. sorry to be the bearer of bad news and all :/

its dumb too.. the 225 has a cannelure. so does the 200... so why not the 250? :roll:
plant_one

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:11 pm

Probably because it wasn't offered as a 460 factory round??
Al in Mi

Postby offrink » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:15 pm

My old man use to be a good shot but age fought up with him and he decided to do something about it. About a month ago he bought a ruger American in 450 and I help him sight it in. Well, yesterday evening the deer came out right on time 450 pm, and he took a 5 point (fused tine) at 180 yards. Good hit, deer dropped. He put everything away got out of the blind, got on the side by side and drove over to see his first kill with the rifle. Only, it wasn’t there. Couldn’t find it for about 25 minutes. Finally came back with a good flashlight and found the blood trail and found the deer had run about 50 yards. No exit wound. He shot the 250 grain ftx. I warned him it would happen but the inside of the chest cavity was mush so it did it’s job. I would love to see what a 300 grain Speer gold dot would do. I bet it would expand nicely and hold together.
offrink

Postby plant_one » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:07 pm

did it go in thru a shoulder or what?

we've killed .... i wanna say 8 or 9 now with the 450s in our hunting group and every one of the 250 ftx came out - 3 of the 5 bucks taken this year opening weekend were with the 250 ftx. we did find one jacket last year still under the skin, exit wound side, but with kills from 30-160 yds every bullet we've fired (there's 4 of them that get used on my family's property) in a mix of 18 & 20" barrels, all factory ammo (black and custom)

we finally did have a 1 hole wonder this year - and our first bullet recovery - on my brothers 30-06 of all things. Nosler Partition 180gr Protected point (#25396). went in through the shoulder, jelly'ed everything behind it, smashed a rib and was right under the skin on what should have been the exit side (kind of a quartering towards him shot).

whole front core was gone, rear core was perfectly in tact, jacket appeared to be still mostly intact, just rolled back like you'd expect. dunno how it managed to stay inside. deer went down like a sack of potatoes kicked off a tailgate though, we figure the shock from the shoulder blowing up also got into the spine and just hit the off switch.
plant_one

Postby offrink » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:32 pm

His was a broadside double lung behind the shoulder and above the point of the elbow. My guess is it hit the rib square and mushroomed it nice and hit the rib on the other side to stop it.
offrink

Postby FSJeeper » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:50 pm

Yes, I shoot high shoulder these days. It just seems to drop them better.

For the record, I have shot two more with the FTX in the same spot, although a lot smaller deer than the first Buck of the year. Both FTX's exited and performed the way they are supposed to.
Also on a hog. Bottom line is they are not 100% reliable for my taste. I can't wait to try some of these thumper load recipes sent to me.
FSJeeper

Postby deadeer » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:11 am

In my group of buddies, about 20 deer have been taken with Hdy Black. Not one single complaint from anybody. All deer but one were pass thrus, and the one recovered was a perfect mushroom. I cant believe the variance of responses given about the 250ftx. I have a bag of 250sst yellow tip blems, and they shoot the same accuracy as the newer ftx, but havent shot any game with them yet.
deadeer

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b