Boar hog with Bushy

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Boar hog with Bushy

Postby arkhangel5 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:50 pm

Guys,

Shot this boar hog yesterday. He had been rooting and destroying the 400yd line of my club and he had to go.

I spent the nite at club as I had business there the next day and didn't want to drive the 75min each way. Got up at about 5:30am, got dressed and decided to look thru my night vision scope before I put it away. Lo and behold ~240+yds out is this bugger rooting.

Grabbed my hearing protection and went after him, this was before the sun was up, so it was still dark. My plan was to get to the 500yd wind flag so I could brace off the pole, and I knew I was good for 100yds in the dark.

I got to the pole and got him in my sights and just waited for him to give me a shot. I waited over 5 min being eaten alive by mosquitoes before I sort of got the shot I wanted. He was quartering towards me with his head down, I went for the shoulder, pulled the trigger and saw him stagger, he did not go down immediately, he staggered about 15yds and then just spun in place and went down.

He went down in some knee high grass and I lost sight of him, I did not see him get back up, so decided to go get my truck to search for him.

At first when I found him I thought he was a smaller hog, wasn't until I was sure he had expired before I got closer and got an idea of his size.
ingrass.jpg
first look
ingrass.jpg (60.53 KiB) Viewed 19449 times

The obligatory victor's shot:
hogpic.jpg
Nice Hog
hogpic.jpg (98 KiB) Viewed 19449 times

View of the cutters, why I didn't go after on foot:
cutters.jpg
cutters.jpg (68.34 KiB) Viewed 19449 times

Club executive officer was glad I got rid of this pest. I was interested to see what a 300gr bullet does on a larger hog. Bullet did not exit hog btw.

Gun details:
BCA 16in complete upper with AR stoner muzzle break.
Noveske lower with Rock River 2 stage NM trigger at 4.5lbs, with Rock River tactical non folding stock
Sightmark Wraith 4-32x digital night vision scope, 5watt IR Illuminator.
TacStar brass catcher.

Bullet was a 300gr Hornady XTP over Lil'Gun going 1930fps at the muzzle.

SY
arkhangel5

Re: Boar hog with Bushy

Postby s4s4u » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:42 pm

Congratulations and nice shootin'. Do you have a pic of the bullet?
s4s4u

Postby arkhangel5 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:25 pm

S4S4U,

Unfortunately did not have a chance to recover the bullet or do a necropsy. Had just enough time cut out the backstraps and get him out of sight before I had to run an orientation on that range. Didn't want to scare off potential new distance shooters. :D

SY
arkhangel5

Postby Spike1 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:57 pm

Great shot.
Spike1

Postby arkhangel5 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:15 am

Thx guys,

Here is a link to photo album with higher resolution pics and a 20 sec video of the shot.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BgJUHrRBLu8arETj6

SY
arkhangel5

Return to The Trophy Wall