Feed problem

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Feed problem

Postby CFJIII » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:54 pm

Having a problem picking up the next round. Any ideas why?

Aero Standard lower W/ Carbine buffer and spring
Aero AR 15 XL Upper
16" Black Rain Ordnance barrel
Aero .875 low profile gas block
Fail Zero BCG
Attachments
12.jpg
12.jpg (41.31 KiB) Viewed 12917 times
CFJIII

Re: Feed problem

Postby Hoot » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:54 pm

Welcome Aboard OM!

Looking at it, I would suggest that you remove some of the spring turns from the bottom of the mag. A lot of the mags you run across have too much lift force and can cause issues. Of curse, that's not the only possible cause, but that's where I begin when I see them like yours. A good rule of thumb is to remove enough turns so that when its back together, it has just enough positive upward force left to hold the last round up firm for pickup. Many folks have to tweak the feed lips a little as well so that the rounds ride just a little high in the front, with a full mag fill. If they ride too high in the front, they can jump out to easily and stovepipe. Too little and they don't rise enough as they're being stripped and bump awkwardly into the feed ramp.

There are "How-To" instructions around here and I believe on YouTube, for tweaking the lips.

Good Luck,

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby MOOSE EARS » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:43 am

What mag are you using?
MOOSE EARS

Postby coyote wacker » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:57 am

Looking at your list of components it looks good....would help what magazines are you using.....are they made for a 450 BM or are you making due with 5.56 or ?
coyote wacker

Postby s4s4u » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:08 pm

Most often this is a magazine related issue. But, if the ejector is not letting the case slide up into the bolt face it may need a little "masaging"
s4s4u

Return to AR15 Style Rifles