I don't recommend the 240XTP mag bullet for hunting pig

General Reloading Discussion.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: I don't recommend the 240XTP mag bullet for hunting pig

Postby MudBug » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:26 pm

1 is not a good statistical sample. You really should give them another shot just to make sure.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby oldmanjeffers » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:49 pm

So your saying I should double tap them MudBug? :shock: :D
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Postby slash2 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:42 am

Or maybe he's saying you should have someone next to you shooting the identical load out of the same type gun. Hmmm, who could that be? :twisted:
/2
slash2

Postby wildcatter » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:08 pm

oldmanjeffers wrote:Well guys I wrote a big long nice reply but walked away from the computer for a bit and it was lost due to me needing to re-log in to this site?

Any-Who, I was sighted in at 100 yards before the hunt and check my zero after missing the yot, I was drilling them at 100 yards.

Talked to my guide (co-worker) at lunch today and he said with out a doubt " You smacked that pig right behind the front left leg".

I'll be ordering a .452 sizing die next week and am going to be sizing down the vast assortment of 45-70 bullets available for hand load hunting rounds, but will try the factory hornady rounds next time out.

He's going right back up this weekend and says he'll save a side plate for me to experiment with
I've got a ton of 240's loaded up and will not be using these loads for hunting anything more than ground squirrel. Gotta get my brass back some how! LOL

Hawcer says he's making some up for me and would very much like to give them a go once I have my freezer meat, These pigs in this area are hated by the ranchers and farmers, And at $19.00 a tag I'll help thin them any chance I get, And as a added bonus it's great exercise!!!

Thanks guys for the response and sharing your experiences.

Now you're talking and we will all be interested in the results, go git'em..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby MudBug » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:17 pm

oldmanjeffers wrote:So your saying I should double tap them MudBug? :shock: :D

Bumpfire.

:lol:
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Siringo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:26 pm

OMJ -- these 240's your using aren't by chance seconds sold by Midway this past winter. I picked up 200 and they are junk. Bad noses, oversize, undersized, cannelures vary -- not sure they were worth the price.
Siringo

Postby oldmanjeffers » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:40 pm

Slash, We'd love to have you and I did drop your name, The farmers want these things gone, But the hunters want a controlled population, The owner of the land I hunted with wants to meet somewhere in the middle and start a full on game management plan and open a guide service. It may take a few years to get started but he is serious, And I'm serious about helping! lol

Siringo, I picked up this box of bullets from a local store here and they all looked great and their was very little variation in weight. These were good to go.
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Postby slash2 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:07 am

oldmanjeffers wrote:Slash, We'd love to have you and I did drop your name, The farmers want these things gone, But the hunters want a controlled population, The owner of the land I hunted with wants to meet somewhere in the middle and start a full on game management plan and open a guide service. It may take a few years to get started but he is serious, And I'm serious about helping! lol

Thanks for thinking of me OMJ, I'm happy to help however I can! :D
/2
slash2

Postby Siringo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:33 am

OMJ -- I has purchases -- thru Midway -- seconds or defective bullets from Hornady. They are horrible. Wished I wouldn't have spent the money on them. All of the factory new bullets have been perfect.
Siringo

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:00 am

Wow.... A pig permit costs 20 bucks? Our hog season is 24/7/365
And no permits needed. Just a hunting license and a killing ground
You could probably get paid to killem' here. Oh well, I shouldn't
Be surprised at hunting laws in CA.
And yeah, we can hunt hogs at night.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg