Favorite camo, what are you guys using?

Anything Outdoors. Hiking, Fishing, Rock Climbing, Quads, motorcycles, camping, etc... You can talk about it here

Moderator: MudBug

Favorite camo, what are you guys using?

Postby 2zero6 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:21 pm

I know it is area and season specific, but what brands and patterns are you guys using? I have really been into King's Shadow series camo for the past year or so, currently been rocking the Mountain Shadow which seems to work very well out here. I have tried Realtree APG which is my second choice because of price and extensive gear that uses it. Mossy Oak break up doesn't work so great out here since it is mostly pine forest out here, although I haven't tried the new break up Infinity. This winter is supposed to be pretty bad up here so I am looking forward to trying King's Snow Shadow. I don't want this to sound like an ad for King's it's just I have had me and some friends out in the woods and I was by far they hardest to spot due to the combination of light, dark, and detail . I really like the Optifade stuff but it seems a little over priced. The Vanish camo Dickie's is using would work pretty well out here but there is such a limited selection of gear that uses it. I'd like to hear any suggestions, comments, and opinions. Thanks guys. :)
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Re: Favorite camo, what are you guys using?

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:11 pm

:? i'm kinda partial to RealTree Hardwoods & Advantage Timber. they work well down here in the hardwood bottoms & hills, since the trees don't loose foilage till late and there's still numerous evergreens. :)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby 2zero6 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:22 pm

MOUNTIN DU wrote::? i'm kinda partial to RealTree Hardwoods & Advantage Timber. they work well down here in the hardwood bottoms & hills, since the trees don't loose foilage till late and there's still numerous evergreens. :)

I looked at both of those but the Realtree APG HD was a better match up here because of the maple and pine inclusions. Do you use them mostly on the ground or in a tree stand?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
2zero6

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:00 pm

I don't spend much time on the ground. I use both in my tree stands; two ladders, two climbers. I switch to the faded ones later in the season after the leaves drop. In my box stand it really doesn't matter. I have some digital camo that I bought last year, and didn't use, that will probably work late season also. It's green, olive drab & tan.
MOUNTIN DU

Postby 2zero6 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:17 pm

MOUNTIN DU wrote: I have some digital camo that I bought last year, and didn't use, that will probably work late season also. It's green, olive drab & tan.

Is that the Optifade woodland camo or is it a military type camo? I would love to here reviews of the Optifade.
2zero6

Postby lucasphi20 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:11 pm

I live in New England, so I find Real Tree AP or green AP seems to be the best. I find Mossy Oak Breakup is too dark and too green. Though I like the new Mossy Oak Breakup Infinity. I just got my Benelli SBE dipped in it, I haven't seen any clothing for it yet.
“If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.”
General George S. Patton Jr., USA
lucasphi20

Postby Mike » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:00 pm

I use an ASAT camo 3d die cut leaf suit.

What sold me was on a hog hunt in texas. I watched my buddy stalk up on a group of rooting hogs. Every time he stopped, I literally could not see him anymore. No gray blob, or brown blob, I just flat out could not discern his body in the brush.
Mike

Postby 2zero6 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:09 pm

Yeah those 3d leaf suits rock and weigh alot less than the traditional ghillie suits.
2zero6

Postby bushmeister » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:04 pm

I use Realtree hardwoods or Mossy oak break up in the fall, and mossy oad obsession in the spring.
bushmeister

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:08 pm

:| the digital camo is a military knock-off brand. :roll: i do plan to use it this year :? so not too sure about the durability of the material yet :oops:
MOUNTIN DU

Next

Return to Outdoors